How To Replace Body Mounts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Lonker

Reaction score
I have a 2001 4x4 sport trac and have discovered that my body mounts under the cab are almost gone. I touched them and they totally crumbled. The dealership wants a crazy amount for parts alone. I have looked all over the place on how I can do this job myself but havent found any good answers. Anyone know how to actually change the body mount bushings??

Also, anyone know of good websites to buy aftermarket bushings? Looks like all of the ones ive seen run around $150-$200 for a set.

Here is the current bushing under the driver side floorboard...yikes

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Search body mounts or bushings. Numerous posts. GL

wow those directions make it look pretty easy..i hope i have luck with it. I have heard from a friend that the daystar bushing were too short on the c pillar of his 02 sport trac. Does anyone know if this was a one time thing or is it a real problem? I don't want to get the kit then be stuck with parts that don't fit.

If I were gonna do this repair to my truck I would do a body lift while at it.

I wish some one made drop spindles for the front, 2" to 3". I would hope to keep the front suspension and steering geometry close to oem. I dont want to tweek the T- bars or bag it. I have seen one in my town that was baged. He worked at a local muffler shop. He always laid frame when parked. Had very nice custom paint work. Not a gawdy design. All he would tell me about $$ in it. Was it was too much....LOL

The rear is easy, with leafs under the axle. It seems that the manufators of drop spindles. Make them for chevy's more than any other truck.

Im only a street driver. I would go up if I off roaded.

That is what is cool about our gen1 tracs. Depending on what you need or like. They look good either way. IMO, the style of the body allows it to look good either way.

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1234

Am I crazy or does this kit only have 16 bushings, two of which (smallest ones) go inside larger bushings. So I would need to buy two more bushings?? Seems weird that they would make the kit like that so i must be wrong right?

The ST has eight bushing locations, an upper and lower for each spot.

Here's a different kit from Prothane, a company known for poly bushings.

this might sound like a stupid question but how to i actually jack up the body of the truck? As in where does the jack need to be placed on the body to lift one side? Is a lift the only way to get it up??

Not stupid. I've been praying someone would do a step-by-step project for this, as it seems like a lot of us are having the issue and the labor cost is a bitch.

swshawaii pointed me to the directions mentioned here in another thread as well (much appreciated) but something even more comprehensive would be great.

I'll try to do a writeup when I do mine, hopefully soon.

I did this under the cab in early October 2011. The only ones that absolutely need to be replaced on the Gen 1 ST are the ones under the front of the cab & under the middle of the cab. You will need to heat the bolts to free up the NASA grade thread locker. It is best done with 2 people. You will need to pull out all the seats in order to reach the bolts (clean out the inside of the cab before replacing the seats). You can do one side at a time. I used the generic Energy Suspension black bushings that are graphite impregnated, and bought more than needed to be able to match the height without using any washers as spacers. Total time is about 6 hours, but that was with the help of my son who works in the collision repair business.

http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1300585&REPLYCOUNT=3&sitename=mysporttrac&LAST=2/8/2012_10:17:36_AM

:banana:

I ended up getting this kit below.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6116

I decided to just have it put on and guy charge me $500 for labor. I still notice a little creeking but going over bumps is way better with the new bushings. Almost like a new ST!

Latest posts