How to improve MPG in stock 02

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself a set of these 2" diameter rare earth magnets with a 390lb pull off of Ebay. Attach them to your front bumper, find a semi and latch on. Then all you have to do is put the Trac into neutral, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd C, the problem with that is, the 5R55 transmission is not meant to freewheel for very long. The ones you see pulled behind a motor home are 4x4's with a special tow kit installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm figuring the 2000 mile round trip to Louisville will consume about 100 gallons. Let's see, at $4/gal that's...............

:(

You can coast in neutral, but you have to keep the engine running to keep the pump spinning which keeps the wearing parts lubricated. If you turn the engine off, you lose the oil flow.

There was some guy in a regular Explorer that claimed he was getting 32mpg. Anybody remember him? He said he had the information to back it up.

That would be "aldive" over on Explorerforum.com. He's from Sarasota, FL and has done quite a bit of modding and stuff to maximize his mileage. There's no way he's averaging 32 around town or even combined mileage, but I think he might have hit it while doing a completely highway trip or two. If you factor in his passenger car tires, e-fan, engine mods, low speeds (55mph or so), drafting other vehicles, and lighter vehicle weight, I can see it being possible.

Guess I'll go looking for some rare earth magnets...might be the magic bullet :cool:

yep.... the 02 is paid for

yep.... i am running Mobil2

yep... (try) and keep the RPM's under 2500 for fuel economy

yep...I've run the numbers and it does make sense to keep the Trac... just trying to ek out a couple of more MPG's

more than anything I was hoping for some vaidation for installing xcal type mods on a hign mileage vehicle.

Thanks again for all the replies

Latest posts