How to improve MPG in stock 02

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One TracMind

Reaction score
Want to keep the Trac in the family but fuel economy needs improvement as gas prices keep climbing. As the title implies - I have a stock 02 with 125K miles - I consistently get 18-19 MPG with my driving habits. What steps, in your experience, can be taken with to improve the MPG numbers.

Thanks in advance for the guidance....a

I concur with CraigC, and remember to get the XCal III with an 87 Economy tune. Also switch to Royal Purple, or other top notch, synthetic oil in you engine, tranny and differential will help too. Make sure your tires are balanced & inflated properly (I run 35 lbs. all around), and your front end is aligned as well.

well rodger pretty much covered all the bases there... lol

i use mobil 1 full synthetic its the same as royal purple... and like $2 cheaper... lol

I used to routinely do 80 mph on my 10 mile drive to work; lately I've been doing 70 and I notice a pretty good difference.

I just slowed down. No more drag racing between traffic lights during commute. Cruise control helps. I leave the center display on the the bar graph to show fuel efficiency ('07).

18-19 seems pretty good to me. I assume you have a 2WD? My '02 4WD averaged around 17, but that was driving on the highway around 80 mph.

Another thing I try to do is keep the RPMs below 3000. I read that tip on this site before.

Andrew,

Here is some food for thought. I take it that your Trac is paid for. That alone is a savings in gas that will beat out every other car out there.

Take what you are spending in gas and write it down.

Compare that cost in gas on what it takes to buy another vehicle going to a monthly car payment. The vehicle you buy that gets batter gas mileage will have to be cheaper with a car payment and total fuel costs. If it isn't, you are not saving any fuel costs.

Tom

18-19 mpg is pretty darn good. I get 15-15.5 mpg in mixed driving (that's on NY gasoline with ethanol).

I take it that your Trac is paid for. That alone is a savings in gas that will beat out every other car out there.

Tom is quite right. There are several smaller cars out there that I am tempted by, but the fuel savings do not offset the purchase price of a new car. My Trac is paid for, and I'll drive it for at least another two years before deciding on what my next vehicle will be. There should be a lot of interesting options hitting the market in the next couple of years.

Caymen is correct. No amount of modifications will beat just not having to make a payment. That does not sound like gas savings, but it does save you money.

If you were to go the route of modifying your ST with exhaust, intake, reprogrammers, etc you will spend a lot of money for a very small return if any at all. Take the money you would spend on mods and use it to buy gas, or better yet buy stock in one of the big oil companies

There are no simple or easy fixes for the oil/gas prices. The only thing driving the market is demand and speculators. When the demand goes down, the price goes down.

I know a lot of people will argue that improvements that gain HP will also improve mileage...and for the most part that is true as long as you keep a light foot and don't use the new HP. In reality, a vehicle tunded for HP rarely returns very little in gas mileage improvements. The biggest factor in poor gas mileage is driving habits, driving habits, and driving habits... followed by traffic and weather conditions.

A better investment would be some kind of a trip computer that gives you gas mileage readouts so that you can actually see what kind of driving gives you good gas mileage and what kind really kills your mileage.

My new car has a trip computer that gives average MPG. If I accellerate hard I can actually see the MPG drop by about 0.1 MPG about every 25-30 feet I go down the road. If I accelerate very gradually the is still a drop in MPG but it's 0.1 MPG every 150-200 feet and streatches out even longer as momentum builds.

While I always thought that I had good driving habits, that onboard computer has allowed me to get a consistant 28-29 MPG on the highway on a vehicle that is EPA rated to only get 25 on the highway.

So if I were going to invest in money to save gas, I would buy some kind of trip computer that calculates average and instantanious gas mileage readings...you will be amazed at how much your driving habits can change your mileage with just little changes.

...Rich

Andrew, if you are already getting 18 to 19mpg count your blessings. You are unlikely to squeeze out many more MPGs.

Driving habits more than any other single thing can help, but I think you are probably already at the point of diminishing returns.

TJR

Also consider that you would have to sell your '02 yourself because dealers are just not giving much for suv's today. Will you get what you want for your trade? 18-19 is pretty good for the trac.

I've been keeping my RPM's around 2000-2500. I have started seeing a 1-2 mpg gain the past couple of weeks. The only mod I have right now is the air cleaner restrictor removed. Last tank, I got just over 15 mpg. Looks like I might be headed for 16+ this next time around. That's all in-town driving, too.

I saw on Mythbusters you get a 30+% boost in fuel economy if you follow 10' behind a semi trailer! That would take you to 24.7 mpg!!

18-19 is good. I wouldnt touch it unless you are looking for performance.

I made changes for performance back when it was new. Now since the big jumps on gas maybe I will also reap mpg benifit, if I keep my foot out it.

Latest posts