How to get better gas mpg on a 02 Explorer with 4.0L

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Pierobon

Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says. Buddy of mine has an 02 Ford Explorer witht he 4.0L. He is getting some terrible gas mpg. I was wondering if any of you had some tricks up your sleeve for him to get some better gas mpg. I told him the basics but I was wondering if there was anything else to do.

Regards,

Patrick Pierobon

I feel like this question is asked every week. Other then the obvious modifications, that likely won't pay off for a few years; if gas is really that much of an issue, it might be time to consider a different vehicle.

my original window sticker said 16/20. They have since been revised to 14/19. When I bought it, I knew what I was getting -- so the current mileage of 14/19 does not surprise me. If I exepected anything else, I would sell it and buy something else.

Want better mileage, trade it in.

Maybe only important to me, but I have an '01 just tuned up and new fuel filter and 4 new Toyo 255/70/16's and get avg. 19.5. Wish it would be even higher, but don't expect it to. I'm satisified at this point.

Patrick, here is a set of post on the explorer forum, this person is also a member here and a buyer from a sponsor._Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an 03 Sport Trac and I average 21 /22 mpg on the highway, and I'm pleased as Hell with that. My 86 Chevy Wrangler only got 8/10 mpg, so this little truck is like a gift horse.

My 86 Chevy Wrangler only got 8/10 mpg, so this little truck is like a gift horse.

Chevy Wrangler? Aren't Wranglers made by Jeep?

Regarding gas mileage, nothing will make it get good mileage, but some things may be done to improve it. You can get a tune-up or have the chip reprogrammed for better fuel economy. Keep the speed down and eliminate "jack rabbit" starts from the light. You can also lighten the truck by removing any unneeded junk that may be inside all the storage areas of the truck.

Fuel filter, pump or fuel sensors fuel system in general ...air filter clean? could be anything if he is not a lead foot.

Other than a good tune up with new plugs, wires, air & Fuel filters, You can run your air pressure in your tires at the max the tire shows, and be sure your alignment is right. Also, be sure you use the correct oil weight. Thicker oil uses more gas.

Dave