How to clean lacquer off of paint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Johnson

Reaction score
Help!!! My son sprayed my truck with Neat-LAC Leather finish. How do I remove the lacquer without damaging the finish or removing the clear coat?

Jerry

I've used lacquer thinner multiple times on many vehicles. When used in moderation, it won't hurt basecoat/clearcoat paint.

Dingo

Laq thinner desolves polyurathanes, which is used on our tracs

But so be it, jerry, have at it with laq, thinner and maybe some fine steel wool.

would try a claybar first JMO

Most clearcoats are an acrylic polymer. I'm not sure of the exact composition of the ST factory paint, but I have used lacquer thinner to dissolve adhesive on mine.

I am an ex auto body painter and recently repainted my rear bumper and didn't notice a masking tape error and over spray got on my tailgate, Laquer thinner took it right off, and did not phase the clear coat. With that said, I worked fast and used high quality cotton towels. I came in behind that with wax and grease remover. Then soapy water, then re-waxed.

Sorry, Dingo is on the mark. Lacquer thinner won't touch FACTORY clearcoat unless you rub it till you finish a six pack. I have 25+ years in autobody repair. All body shops use it for a fast cleanup. But I would take it to a shop to get it done. First off, you'll have a hard time finding paint grade thinner, and if you do, you'll probably have to buy a gallon. It's expensive and you probably only need a pint. And it's better off in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

I would recommend that you go to a local body or paint shop, tell them the problem and they can probably tell the best way to get it off if it is even possible.

...Rich

Latest posts