How much RAM for WinXP?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Does Windows XP Pro (full version) work with 2 or more Gigabytes of RAM? Just wondering before I order parts for a new rig.

Attn: Mods

When I was creating this post I could not find the Off-Topic and Home Computers/Electronics categories! I left the category box blank and it chose Gen Info. (I do not have "Hide Off-Topic" categories enabled in 'preferences' either)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. 32 bit XP is good until 4 gigs. Have 3 gigs under XP Pro SP3 on this very laptop I'm posting with.

64 would be good with more (128 gb), but we'll assume you have 32, but regardless, you'll be good with 2 :D

32 bit Windows XP will not see 4 GB. Maybe 3.25 or so. I would still go 4 GB in case you get a x64 bit OS someday, but any 32 bit Windows OS will not see a full 4 GB.

Thanks for the info.

Mods, I forgot there was a separate off-topic board. Feel free to move this there (or delete it).

Im running 2gigs ram on xp home, 2ghz proccessor.Photo and multiple programs and windows and websites all at once. Havent boged it down yet.

Plug in your info at crucial.com...They will give you the info you need.

Heck, I'm running XP Pro SP3 on my Acer Netbook which only has 1 GB of RAM and it runs just fine. Of course the 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom processors is not the fastest thing in the world but I use the Netbook primarily for Internet access while traveling or if I am just to lazy to go into the other room and use my main PC.

...Rich

When I was creating this post I could not find the Off-Topic and Home Computers/Electronics categories! I left the category box blank and it chose Gen Info. (I do not have "Hide Off-Topic" categories enabled in 'preferences' either)

John,

Thats beceause this is not ST related and should go on the OFF TOPIC BOARD. :eek:nline:

Todd Z

Yes, 32-bit XP Pro will work with 2 GB of RAM. As others have stated, though, the max that the OS will "see" is a little more than 3 GB. A 64-bit OS will "see" way more RAM, but in reality you're limited by what your motherboard will accept.

Good luck!

If your ordering a new rig i would definitely recommend Windows 7 64bit with 4Gb of ram. Its much much better than XP.

If your ordering a new rig i would definitely recommend Windows 7 64bit with 4Gb of ram. Its much much better than XP.

Ditto. I really love Win 7. And I detested Vista. So much so that after upgrading to Vista from XP I promptly returned to XP.

XP was written to function on 512MB. Anything higher is fine. If you have 256 memory your system will crawl. I use 2GB of RAM in a notebook and 4GB on a desktop. XP will only see 3GB. Windows 7 is written with a minimum of 2GB.

Thanks for all your feedback. FYI, I'm running on a 5yr old AthlonXP 3000+. It does great, but it doesn't like multi-tasking.

I'm eyeing Win7 but if memory serves me right, I would need to get the ultimate version for

WinXP software compatibility, and on top of that I'd be getting the full version. Cost starts to rise real fast from there. And in my opinion, I would need a more powerful processor than the Athlon X2 250 that I'm currently set on, if I'm going to run Win7. Right now I can build around this CPU for under $700 (not including new LCD monitor). Yes, I can buy prebuilt retail for much less with a faster CPU and Win7 preloaded, but I can almost guarantee the mobo and video card on it are gonna suck. Me buying a prebuilt computer instead of building one is like me taking my Trac to a carwash instead of doing it myself - not happenin'.

As for the memory issue, since XP doesn't read more than 3Gigs, does that mean also that the computer will not take advantage of memory beyond 3Gigs? Would it be pointless to buy 4Gigs (2GB x 2 running dual-channel) at all?

If you ever want to run more then 4gb of memory you need to be running 64 bit OS. If you take your time to shop you can build a kick-ass cpu for under $500. I did. I'm running an i7 processor with 64 bit Windows 7 and it just screams. (A compatible store bought would run well over a grand). If you have a stand alone copy of XP than you can buy the Win 7 upgrade for a lot less than the full version. It loads the same and the new windows transfer program makes it incredibly easy to migrate files from one computer to another.

TomT,

It costs AMD and Intel millions to design and build "kick ass CPUs".

I guess you are talking about building a desktop PC (everything that goes in the chasis, including the chasis).

I know some call that the CPU. But the CPU is actually inside the computer.

Sorry, one of my pet-peeves.

TJR

True TJR. I was referring to the whole computer not the actual cpu.

Roger. When I decide to upgrade and build a new computer, it's a long process. I shop for deals and take advantage of rebates using sites like fatwallet, amandtech and others. I got a lot of deals at my local Fry's over the holidays. Thanksgiving weekend I got a deal on an i7 with a Biostar MB for around $200. That is typically going to be your biggest expense. Bought the case and memory from Newegg when they had hot deals. Only running 4gb of RAM (DDR3) for now because ram prices are sky high. Preordered Win 7 upgrade months before it came out for like $50. Took me about 2 months to purchase every item but I saved several hundred by doing so, compared to one stop shopping. That's the way I build systems for the home. Now for work I just order everything at once, usually from Newegg and a comparable system costs closer to a grand or more. But if you have the patience you can build an incredible cpu, err computer, really cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts