How many times has your ST been rear ended?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheryl Hargis

Reaction score
I had a black 2001 ST that was rear ended 2 times. Both times I was sitting still. First time on a Highway in traffic and the second time waiting behind other cars at at traffic light. Unfortunately I was hit so hard the second time that it bent my frame, shoved the bed of the ST into the corner of the cab, and the transmission didn't shift right. Also the impact had pushed me into the car in front of me. Insurance company totalled my ST. Now, I bought a White 2003 ST, only have had it 2 weeks and someone rear ends me at at stop sign. Doesn't look like there's any damage, but now I am pissed. The excuse was that the sun was in his eyes. Yeah well, back the f@#K off if you can't see what is in front of you!

Okay, so if people can't see the rear end of the ST and I don't see how they miss it, there needs to be a solution. Possibly putting a LED light across the back of the tailgate that lights up when the brakes are on. Any other suggestions? A huge stop sign?

Before my 2004 ST I had a 2000 Chevy Impala. Was rear ended 3 times. Twice when traffic on a highway came to a sudden stop, me along with it, but the people behind me didn't; another time when at a stop sign.

It happens.

TJR

My first ST was rearended the first 15 minutes off the lot. Some lady in the McDonalds drive-thru let her foot off the brake and slammed her grill into the rear bumper. Severe damage to her Buick, but no damage to the ST. :)

One time... The truck had less than 500 Miles on it and I had a trailer hitch brake light, Still didn't work...

Todd Z

I was rear ended once but I got a good laugh out of it. You may remember that early last year I posted that my front wheel came off while driving on the 605 freeway. Well, I got my truck back after a month and a lot of going back and forth with the dealer. Anyway, I get my truck back and that very same week I get rear ended by some Ricky Racer in an RX-7 while trying to get on the freeway. I gotta say I was P.O.'d like you wouldn't believe. I just got my truck back and the thought of having my truck down again was just too much. As we pulled over I let out one long ancient curse that must have been heard by everyone around us. I'm no lightweight and I guess the sight of this pissed off Mexican was too much for the other guy to take that he nearly buckled when I asked for his driver's license. His hand couldn't stop shaking when he tried to fish out his license from his wallet. All along he kept saying that he didn't want to report this to his insurance because his mom just switched his insurance. What a poser! His RX-7 is all fixed up Fast and Furious style, projecting a street racer image but a little fender bender comes along and he's begging me not to tell his mom! C'mon! I decided he had it worse than I did especially after I looked at the RX-7's front end. Oh well, I got a new rear bumper ($1300) and a funny little story to go with it!

My hitch step has saved my bumper twice. Once from parker who's parking style was "go forward and back until you hit the bumpers" (I was standing nearby watching her), and once from a fool talking on his cell phone (a witness told me) who ran into it while i was sitting at a traffic light.

No damage either time. I love my hitch step.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
once--sort of. DW was backing out of the driveway and backed into DS's car. Busted the tail light. She was all torn up over it.... went and bought the new light and all at the dealer. I didn't have the heart to tell her I could have saved a mint by going to a salvage yard (coastie joe) or through one of our sponsors :)

Same here wwashing. Mine step has been hit once. It went thru the other car's grill. No damage to mine at all but alittle scratch on the step.

[Broken External Image]:

No rear ending, thankfully, but I missed it by about an inch in a parking lot the other day. I was about to stop to turn into a parking place, happened to look back and see that the driver behind me was paying no attention. I hit the gas to get out of the way...THEN she looked and slammed on her brakes.

But I have had one board fly off of a truck and shatter the windshield last April. Then in July, some fool was driving too close to me at a gas station. He had some metal t-posts sticking over the side and one gouged the rear fender from the gas door all the way to the tail light.

The way people drive around here...I always expect the worst!

I Have been hit once in the rear bumper. Fortunately, it was at very slow speed and the only think that happened was the bumper slipped down in its brackets. I only had to loosen, re-position and re-tighten.

Now the illegal immigrant who hit me ended up being sought for hit-and-run when he wouldn't wait for th police to show up to take a report. He takes off with me still holding his registration in my hand. Really smart. Of course, he was probably NOT the registered owner. I suspect the registration was from who he bought it from and he never transferred the title.

When I drive I often observe the vehicle ahead of the vehicle in front of me (so I'm looking two vehicles ahead). That way I can anticipate when the vehicle in front of me will brake. When all is well this helps me time my braking and acceleration so that I'm not excessive on either one.

I do hate it when the driver directly ahead of me is brake-happy; stepping on the brake instead of just letting off the gas to slow down, stepping on the brake prematurely (when there is ample distance between it and the vehicle in front of it), and stepping on the brake for no apparent reason (the traffic ahead of it isn't even deccelerating). When I end up behind one of these unpredictable, brake-happy ones, I will increase my distance and/or pass ASAP.

Perhaps many rear-end accidents occur where a driver is paying attention two vehicles ahead but neglecting the one immediately ahead?

I was almost rear ended tonight after reading this thread. How about some I got free money threads? :lol:

Just last week. Still waiting for the insurance company to check it out so they can start work.

Latest posts