How long hoses?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaffo oxnard

Reaction score
How long have you let your hoses go?

I have 86,000 miles on a 2001, and only changed the top hose because it was easy. I will let the bottom and the bypass go until I have to do the water pump and it all has to come appart anyway. The smaller hoses look like a pain in the but and cost of fotrune because of all the hard line sections and special fittings.

This is gambling, bit when was the last time you actually had a hose fail? I can't even think of a time in the last 25 years that I have seen a good looking car on the side of the road with coolant pouring out from under the car. I have seen it twice recently, but it was a dodge neon and a small nissan that were in SAD shape.

The indy mechanic who did my mom's 2000 accord timing belt said he does not even both changing them at 8 - 10 years because the new coolants don't attack the rubber and the rubber is much better.

I carry the lower hose and the bypas hose in the jack compartment so I have them if I need them (nothing better than being in Quartzie AZ and having them tell you they can change the hose at the local station, but they have to drive 4 hours to Blythe to get it), along with a quick hose barb hose repair kit just in case.

Ahhh. Just like going to Vegas - rolling the dice!

There was that one time the motor mount on my 69 mustang broke and when i hit the gas the engine torqued and twisted and tore the upper hose clean in half. talk about a confused 20 year old!

With coolant systems i used to change coolant at 60K...... then at 120K change hoses, T-stat and coolant........

Repeat at 180 and 240.....

Just what I do....

I have never been stranded by a vehicle due to a coolant system related issue..

Todd Z