How is you ST running

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy-The-Ute

Reaction score
It has been pointed out by some that if you look at this message board too long you would think that all STs are lemons. I have had my 2004 ST for 2 1/2 years and never had to have it serviced except for oil changes and filter changes. Granted my milage is low, but it is heavy urban driving. Has anyone else had problem free STs. :D

I wish I could say that. I just found out right before Christmas that my ST gets a brand new tranny. On the bright side I bought the extended warrenty (I'm 4K over the original warrenty) so Im not that upset. A lil inconvient but nothing to complain about. Not yet anyway. The worst part of the story is that I'm overseas, and the only people who honor a Ford warrenty is probily the best worst place to get machinical work done. Good ole AAFES. The same place the blew the engine of a Mustang GT because they forgot to add oil during an oil change. I really wish that was an urban legenad, but its a true story that happened about 4 months ago. We'll see how things work out.

-Travis

I am very happy with my ST, its an 05 but i have 50k on it all ready and I havent had a single problem yet(let me knco on some wod)lol. I have friends that have had several problems with other vehciles, Dodge, Chevy, Nissan, I think it is just getting un lucky.

Duece

2004 4x4 49,500 miles and only thing I had problems with was wtih the Overdrive kicking on and off by itself and the recall about the tranny fluid. I love my Sport Trac. I will never buy another truck unless its another Sport Trac.

I've got an '01 ST 4X4 with 37K on it, and overall I've been happy with its reliability. I've had a couple of minor issues (bad fuel pump from the factory, belt tensioner went kaput a year after I got it, rear window was sticking, etc.) but all were fixed easily and under warranty.

The only major problem I've had is the front brakes. Had to replace everything (rotors, calipers, pads) about 2 1/2 years ago, then thought I'd have to replace them again last year when the caliper piston was once again sticking. Luckily, the piston freed itself and the brake shop was able to get it sliding correctly again. The guy there did say, however, that this problem was common and that I'd likely have to replace them in the future, he just didn't know when.

After driving a Tacoma that went for 14 years and over 130K (Dad kept it after me) and never needed a caliper replacement, that didn't make me too happy.

I've got an '02 4x2 with just over 71K on it. No major work just regular oil changes and other routine maintentance. We did replace the brakes about a year ago. A couple of months ago, I had to make an emergency trip from AZ to TX, we changed the oil and I jumped in and drove. Not even a little hiccuup. We couldn't be happier with the truck. Knock on wood... :D

Mine is a 2002 4x4 with over 93k. I had one problem taken care of under warranty and it's been a great vehicle.

It's a great little truck!

04 with 33k. No issues other than the transmission was a bit slippy and seemed to get confused until it was flushed at 30k. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My 04 has 28K miles, and have relatively few problems:

- A steering pump leak (fixed under warranty)

- Replaced steering pump with higher displacement version per "low speed shudder" TSB (fixed under warranty)

- Radio bezel is peeling pretty bad (could probably get fixed under warranty, but who has the time?)

- Front-tires cupping and wearing badly due to inability to align compounded with really bad Goodyear stock tires (dealer wouldn't replace under warranty, claimed normal)

- Had to replace OEM shocks with Rancho RSXs with only 8K miles on the truck for safety reasons (didn't even see if dealer would reimburse)

That's about it so far. Mostly they are annoyances, and if I were driving a Kia or a Suzuki then I might expect it, but for a Ford product costing more than $30K they are all simply a clear indication of why Ford is in the shape it's in.

TJR

2003 with 110,000 miles. So far the only reason we've been to the dealer is for a new IAC replaced under warranty at 35,000 miles. New brakes roughly every 40,000, new tires at 101,000 (loved those Michelins!), oil changes every 3-5,000 miles, and drain and refill tranny pan every 3-10,000 miles (I added a drain plug). Oh yeah, and a new upper radiator hose because I never got around to zip-tying it up off of the dipstick! AND repacking and retightening front wheel bearings. Won;t stay tight for long, but only loosen a little bit no matter how long I leave them that way.

Now if we can just stay out of the body shop! We've had two different people run into us within two weeks! The second one was ONE DAY after we got it out of the body shop for the first! It's back now, and looking better than ever!

I just hit 60K with my 2002 - no major issues. I did have a few small warranty items addressed during my first 36K, but other then that my ST has run like a charm. I just changed tires all the way around, balance, alignment, brakes, normal wear and tear.

I was tempted to extend to 60K right before it hit 36K. I took a chance not doing it. This time it worked out in my favor. :)

My friend is up around 70K with his and has not had any issues as well.

04 4x4 Adrenlin 54k miles

-- Radio bezel is peeling pretty bad, and it was covered under warranty

-- Front-tires cupping and wearing badly, warranty wouldnt cover

-- Cruise-Control flash on/off switch, warranty and fixed

No Problems since, Except bad gas mileage, first bought the truck and would get around 390 miles per tank. now im lucky to get 275 miles per tank. woohoo

2001 Job 1 with 72k miles. No major problems just regular maintenance. So far I have been happy with the performance. I did have to change the thermostat about a year ago. Still have the original drum brakes on the rear and will probably change the original front rotor when I change the front pads in the next two weeks.

Latest posts