How hard is it to replace the right side seal on the front axle? Got some leaking!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
I moved my truck over to the other side of the driveway today and notice about a 8" spot of something that leaked. I looked under the truck and found the right side axle seal is leaking. Couple questions:

How hard is it to replace- never did it on a IFS before?

Since I have my truck lifted would the dealer even touch it under warranty or does the lift void the warranty? I hate going to the dealer if I can do it myself. Leads to my next question-

How much do these parts usually cost?

Can I remove the CV Axle by just removing the Hub Bearing or do I need to disconnect the whole spindle?

I'm gonna be replacing the front and back brakes anyway so while I'm doing that I could do the seal. Any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at my project for replacing your CV axle and you will see how to do it. It is an easy task to do. My project does not show how to remove or replace the seal but will get to it.

So I have to remove the spindle to remove the CV axle? I checked out your project and it looks pretty easy just wish I had the money right now, I'd replace the balljoints while I had everything apart. I like to do everything at once when I can, saves time and energy from doing all that again, oh well. Thanks Chad, I was hoping you would chime in on this. :haveabeer::banana:

Thanks SteveM, is that from the big red book? I ordered that book from ebay last year. It's the 2003 Workshop Manual Explorer Sport Trac/ Explorer Sport, Ford Motor Company. I also have the CD Rom version for the laptop as well. Haven't really used them too much because up til now I have really had to anything that I haven't before. Thanks for al the help guys!!!

:banana::supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts