How Hard is it to install a new reciever

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ Tatum

Reaction score
I want to replace the stock reciever with the Dual XD7600 with the flip down face. How hard is it to replace the stock reciever. Im not sure because the stock is very tall compared with regular recievers. What fills the extra space.

Tater, it's not too terribly difficult to install a head unit. Basically, you need to take your stock out, if its the pioneer 6 disc, youll need the 4 prong tool, what you can do is take it to a local car audio shop and they can take it out for you. After that, you need to buy a wiring harness that will connect the stock wires inside the truck to the new head unit. this might involve cutting and splicing some wires...as for filling in the extra space, when you buy the wiring harness you will also need to buy a head unit car kit for the vehicle. this is typically a plastic pieve that has a space for the new head unit, but also has something to fill in the extra space from the stock head unit. this could be a slot inside where u can put cds or something like that. the wiring harness should run you about $10-15 and another $10-15 for the kit. any car audio shop or circuit city or best buy type of place would have them in stock. I had my head unit installed because the place i bought it has a deal that if its bought there they install for only $1. i couldnt beat that, but i've done many other cars and its not hard

Good luck!

thanks

andy

Tater,

If you are looking to install the head unit yourself, you might want to consider Crutchfield as a source. A lot of times they will include a vehicle specific mounting kit, as well as wiring harnesses so that you do not have to cut your factory harness. They also include vehicle specific installation instructions. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

Jeff