How do you remove AC Compressor Clutch Connector?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal keiner

Reaction score
I want to remove the AC Compressor Clutch Connector so I can test for 12V and determine if a defective clutch is a possible reason for the compressor not turning when the AC switch on the dash is on. I have already determined that there is sufficient coolant in the system. I am not asking for any AC troubleshooting advice at this time, only how to remove this connector.

I figure that the locking tab on the connector has to be either "squeezed inwards" or "pried outwards" to remove the connector. I tried gently to do both and the connector does not budge. Before using a bit more force/effort (and risk breaking the connector by doing it the wrong way) I would like to first determine whether it is a "squeeze in" or "pry out" type locking tab.

Anyone know which way to remove this connector and/or have any tips on doing so.

This is where the connector is located:

[Broken External Image]:

This is the part I found when looking it up online:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
If i remember it was squeeze and pull, its been about 3 years since I messed with mine.

Todd Z

I got the connector off. Yes, you do have to pry the tab outwards. As a tip to others that come across this thread with the same problem, it is near impossible to remove the connector while reaching in with one hand from the top. Instead, remove the front left wheel and access it from below. This will give you a closer view of the tab and provide better access to get in there with two hands, one hand to gently pry the tab out with a short screwdriver and the other hand to gently pull out the connector.

By the way, once I got the connector off I could test and determine that there was NO voltage at the connector when the AC was turned on at the dash, which in turn led me to test and determine that the AC clutch relay inside the Battery Juction Box was bad. I replaced this relatively cheap part and got my AC working again. Yeh!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts