Hose Clamps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Price 2

Reaction score
Has anyone found/know of decent hose clamps for your radiator hoses?

I replaced my hoses a year or so ago and put some autozone worm-style hose clamps on it. It seems like every few months since Ive had to re-tighten them. They become loose and leak/weep/mist. I know this because my belt starts to squeal. Then I have to tighten them and wash my belt in soapy water. This is getting old fast. Always the upper was the culprit. Today it was the lower. I should've just put back on the OEM ones as they keep a constant pressure. But, everything I heard said to replace them.

Also, every time I re-tighten them it seems like I have to go a little past where they started out. I fear if I have to do this one more time it's going to break the plastic inlets/outlets or cut right through the hose. I may even have to trim the hoses back to attach a new clamp for a better seal. I realize the temp outside can contribute to this but it been happening all year.

Any recommendations/links to some decent quality hose clamps? Amazon would be great. Doesn't need to be some Swedish export top of the line. Just something that wont back off or cut the hose. Possibly an assortment pack of different sizes for all kinds of other uses.

Anyone else have this issue now or in the past?

Thanks

Mark- Did you throw away the OEM constant tension clamps? I prefer them hands down to the worm drive type.

Only pain is if you don't have the correct pliers. Bent needle nose, or spark plug boot pliers worked well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I still have them. I was looking for a style that I could undo and put on without having to drain the radiator. No big deal if I need to I guess. Ive also have them on the other ends of both upper and lower radiator hoses as well. Darn it.

YES, I LOVE my bent needle nose pliers!!! I use them for everything it seems.:supercool:

I was looking for a style that I could undo and put on without having to drain the radiator.

That's probably the ONLY benefit of worm drive clamps. If you're quick, you won't lose too much coolant. LOL

Recycle maybe? Do those pliers open wide enough for the large constant tension hose clamps?

The constant tension clamps are not meant to be reused. Heat and age take their toll on the clamps.

Maybe it's not a clamp issue. What brand of hoses did you use? I buy all of our hose clamps for the shop from Napa, never had an issue but then again I have never had an issue with a hose clamp at all unless it was stripped.

This is the exact tool I use for constant tension clamps

Geez Gavin, kinda overkill huh? :grin: The crimper tools are "only" $2600 each, your choice. :banghead:

http://www.amazon.com/BAND-IT-UL4000-C-Ultra-Lok-Rechargeable-Portable/dp/B003ZHU09Q

Sorry, I work for the government. We usually don't worry how much shit costs when we buy it...

I do work for the government and they are on our asses as to what shit costs...

Tom

Steve- I'll check(on my '02 sport)to see if they open enough on the Ford clamps. I believe I purchased them sometime after the replacement. But have used them on other vehicles and many other uses.

RedRanger7- Thanks. All yards are over an hour and a half away :(

L1tech- I used Motorcraft OEM replacements. Great thought though. If they were some crappy universals I could see they might leak. If that's why you were asking.??

Gavin- Thanks. But if I had that kind of money. It would go toward the Supercharger :) J/K

http://modd.me/product/02-05-2dr-explorersport-trac-supercharger-kit/

markaprice73,1/10/2014 15:17 MT

L1tech- I used Motorcraft OEM replacements. Great thought though. If they were some crappy universals I could see they might leak. If that's why you were asking.??

That's what I was thinking.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you just aren't tightening the hose clamps enough initially. Don't worry about cutting through the hose or breaking the neck...the hose clamp will strip out long before that is even a possibility.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you just aren't tightening the hose clamps enough initially

Very well could be. Initially yes. I "feel" like they are as tight as I can get them now without stripping em. Good to know about that they will do that before cutting or breaking plastic nipples. Thanks. 1/4 inch ratchets are kind of hard for me to judge I guess. I feel like I'm killing it but probably I'm not.

I will most likely just end up finding some mid quality clamps and just double clamp em for now until the next coolant change/repair. Then try some nice ones.

It just hit me. This same thing happened to me on my Wife's Accord. I ended up double clamping. I guess I'm just a wuss. Plastic parts scare the crap outta me.

I was recently messing around with my daughters 02 Sport wiper nozzles. Broke both plastic holder tabs that hold them to the cowling. Looked up the price of new cowling. Ouch. I'll just rig something. It was cold out as well. Completely my fault.

Mark- Get a 5/16" hex socket and hose for the radiator petcock on the passenger side. Remove upper and lower hoses and replace with the OEM clamps. Somehow I can't see

the engine's cooling system heat having an adverse effect on the clamps where they can't be reused. Coolant maximum temp around 250 degrees? Corrosion is another story.

Latest posts