horn not working..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Sove

Reaction score
so heres what i need somebody to do.. lol bare with me, i have an 04 adrenalin and my horn stopped working, AFTER my cruise stopped working.. i found a broken solder in each of my steering wheel controls, so i removed them to fix. haven't gotten around to fixing them yet, but i noticed my horn stopped working too. just not sure if it was at the same time or not.. anyone?

Did you check the harness in the steering column? The gen 1 trac has a problem of seperation or breaking wires in the jack. The more you use your tilt it is apt to happen. You will have to remove the column covers.

The wire is too short. After repair, pull up extra slack and tie wrap it.

+1 on what Ed said, also check fuses, but more then likely some thing in the column..

Todd Z

Though I can't prove it...

I recall reading the horn and the cruise were on the same fuse. So for sure check the fuses as other have mentioned.

Check the horn relay (or is it the cruise control relay?). I had an E150 that the horn relay got full of water some how and blew the coil in it. Took out the horn and the cruise -- evidently your horn must work for your cruise to....

Don't know if it is same in the ST or not, but maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get an air horn.

........... or a bumper sticker! :bwahaha:

ae3689bbf6e30f266dd4c3d1566831cc.jpg

On a serious note, does the horn sound when activated by the keyless entry remote?

Sent you some diagnostics via email.

Ken,

Your problem is in the steering column wiring harness pulling appart. Sometimes moving the steering wheel tilt to a different position helps, but that only confirms that it's the steering column problem. Anything that is wired through the steering column can act strange when the wiring harness connector is being pulled apart. That includes Horn, Cruise control, turn signals, tail lights/brake lights, wipers, dimmer switch, etc. (Yes, tail lights/brake lights go through the steering column)

As previously stated, remove column covers, fix any broken wires, and make sure all the wires in the connector are tight and not pulled loose. Then pull up enough slack in the wiring harness to prevent the tilt wheel from pulling on the harness and use a wire-tie to hold that slack in place and prevent further stress on the connector.

...Rich

Latest posts