Hood won't open

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Lynas

Reaction score
I just just got of hospital and after two weeks and 4 surgeries, wanted to hear my ST run. First bad news is a dead battery. Second bad new is the hood wont open.

The hood open lever just slides. I am still days away from being to do anything physical and don't have anyone to lean on. Is there a way to open the hood?

:smile0001:

Can you punch the hood down a little and re try ??? No neighbors you can ask to push the hood tan or tap it while you try to open ???

Todd Z

I did have a neighbor push down but hood doesn't bodge. I would call Ford roadside assisantace but with a dead battery, and one of Tories Tunes installed, the dealership might be to happy.

Russ - I would not worry about the tune. If you have the road side assist. then i would call them and get them to help. If you have a gen2 truck the battery should not be dead yet.

I hope you get well soon.

As Todd says,,,

You want to do like hammer punches, not just push down.

You want to pull the hood latch lever and put some pressure on it, then have someone hammer fist the hood near the front center with a few good hits. Chances are it will pop open at that point...

If not,,, then it is a matter of going through the grill and or from the bottom. In most cases, you can see the bolts that hold the latch assembly in place. Remove the bolts and then lift the hood. Then figure out what you need to do to fix the issue.

Could be a stretched cable, stuck latch,,, That kind of thing.

Once you do get it open, spray a SERIOUS amount of white lithium grease on the latch and operate it SEVERAL times using a screw driver acting as the hood. Then try the hood again..

Latest posts