home burglar alarm

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Clary

Reaction score
I know this is way off topic but I always get good advise here. We are thinking about getting a home buglar alarm. I have researched on the web and what I am seeing is pretty much not good. The big guys that monitor have terrible feedback. The are also pretty pricey for what they offer. I know, in case of a breakin the price will be the last thing I'll be concerned with.

Any one have advice or experiance with this? I sure would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Buy one of the kits with placards and window stickers that say you have a home security system, and put them in visibile area (mailbox, windows).

Also, change your outside lights to motion detecting versions that turn on when sensing movement.

Cut-back all your shrubs.

Get to know to your neighbors (if needed), talk to them, and agree to watch each others houses and not get offended if they come to you (or you to them) when seeing something possibly suspicious.

Do these things, and IMHO, you will be better protected than with the false-sense of security that a home security system provides AND you will have saved tons of cash.

Oh,and consider buying a dog.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR is pretty much right on. If they really want to get in, they will. but just seeing the stickers and signs of a home security system can be enough to deter them. My parents have an alarm system at their house, cant even remember the last time they even used it.

I agree with most of what TJR is saying.

Security Monitoring companies charge too much to do too little. There are are security systems that all you to monitor your house, call the police, or fire department as needed through the telephon or cellular technology (yes a cell communications can be added to to the security system if you do not have a land line phone)

My new house was wired with all the door/window sensors and 2 motion detectors. The security companies only had to wire their control box into your existing system and charge $35-$45 per month to monitor your system via internet. They also wanted to charge $20 per month for a system with no monitoring...it just kept a log of times when doors or windows were opened??

You can buy your own security systems with IP cameras that allow you to monitor you home from work or any computer in the world that has access to the internet. There are also wireless cameras with motion detectors that will record video on to a memory card when ever someone moves into the detector's range during specific hours.

So you can build your own security system with cameras, sirens, motion detectors, etc without having to pay ADT or the other security companies to monitor your system.

...Rich

I bought a Honeywell complete system, 3 keypads, 15 wireless sensore, keypad remote and installed my self...... about 6 years ago......

I believe it was under $300 foe everything.....

I JUST hooked up a phone line last year as my oil company provides me monitoring for less then $30 a month, ( Fire and theft), and my oil burner is hooked to a separate zone too, so if that goes they get a call...... and my insurance for the monitoring went down $200 a year so for $100 a year i am completely covered !!!

Todd Z

I install security systems. Too bad you're so far away. Email me and I'll give you a phone number and we can talk about it if you want.

Gary D.

Todd, you're paying too much for monitoring!

Gary, 22.75 a month... looked....... Going rate for fire and security here in ny is any where from 20-35 a month....

Todd Z

You will pay more per month for a 'free' system. Some of the plans include maintenance and repairs. Buy your own and if you get monitoring pay for the minimum level of service.

The advantage to an alarm is the burgler will be forced to grab and run. Without an alarm they can take their time inside your house. You also could stumble on them when you come home.

We have an alarm, it's monitored. We turn it on every time we leave and at night when we go to bed. And, yes, I do feel safe in my own home and I do live in a decent neighborhood.

Growing up my parents lived in a more upscale place and it got burgled. All homes are at risk.

I also suggest cameras with a DVR. If you set it up in a closet, they may not find it, and you will have all the evidence you'd need for a conviction.

Roger,

I do not recommend DVR's unless they can be securely hidden. Where I worked, thieves broke in and stole the DVR as well as our computer. That's why I recommended using IP camera with a cellular notification system or motion detector cameras that record internally on SD memory cards. They can be disquised as air freshners, books, electical switches, clocks, etc...Most crooks don't even notice them and all their actions are recorded.

Go to www.10x.com and you will be suprised at what is available

Also check out: http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/covert-hidden-spy-cameras.html

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts