Hmmmm? Interesting?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard L

Reaction score
Today I was stopped by a Waco police officer for passing his unmarked car when there was a solid yellow line (No passing) The speed limit was 60 MPh and he was going 47 MPH (according to my GPS and calibrated UltraGauge). He said I passed him when I was in a no passing zone by the solid center line.

I told him that I had started to pass him when it was legal to pass with the broken center line on my side but when I got along side of him, the broken line changed to a solid line and I admitted that I did not know it was a police car or I would have backed off. He said I did pass him in the no passing zone and that he probably had it recorded on his dash cam...but he never checked his dash cam. I told him that I also had a dash cam (and pointed to it) and that I am sure that I started to pass him in the legal passing zone (broken line) but the when I got along side of his car, the center-line change from a broken line to a solid line.

He asked for my drivers license and I gave him my Drivers License and Concealed Handgun License (as required by Texas law) He then asked for proof of insurance, and I gave that to him. He went back to his car for about a minute or perhaps a bit longer and handed me my Licenses and proof of insurance and said he was going to let me go with a warning.

The officer was polite and civil as was I, but I wonder what prompted him to let me off with just a warning??? Was it my CHL?, was it the Disabled Vet plates, or was it the Dash Cam in my car??? Just curious??

About the time I passed the unmarked police car, I kind of thought that it might be a police car...and my suspicions were confirmed when he lit me up...:grin: I am grateful that he was so good about it and let me go with just a warning.

...Rich

In Wisconsin, you are not to start passing if you cannot anticipate returning to the normal driving lane before reaching an upcoming "No Passing Zone" triangle sign. Rarely, there will be no "No Passing Zone" sign, especially on secondary rural roads. In that case, you are still required to return to the normal driving lane before reaching a solid yellow line.

0809c4425b511ddba30515126ef2a04d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Texas statute regarding this. It's similar to the wording in the Wisconsin statutes. In other words, it states you may not pass in a no passing zone. Period. No exception listed.

Sec. 545.055. PASSING TO THE LEFT: PASSING ZONES. (a) An operator shall obey the directions of a sign or marking in Subsection (c) or (d) if the sign or marking is in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person.

(b) An operator may not drive on the left side of the roadway in a no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark a no-passing zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
He probably let you go because you were "clean" polite, posed an argument without being rude or any other negative thing.

Also it may have been tough for him to uphold the law, or better yet He was in a good mood and just let you go.

take it for what it is worth, Play the Powerball and see if your luck changes :)

Todd Z

Mark,

Not arguing that I was right. I know, technically I was wrong and if I got a ticket, I would not have a leg to stand on.

My only point of disagreement with the officer is that he claimed that I started to pass him when I had the solid yellow line, and the review of my dash cam footage confirms that I was actually past him by the time the center-line changed to the solid line (no passing) but I did not complete the pass and pull back into the right lane until into the No Passing Zone. We don't have those "No Passing Zone" signs in Texas when the roads have center-lines (solid or broken)

I think the officer may have realized that the road had a very shallow dip where the No Passing Zone started and while I could see that there was no oncoming traffic well beyond the start of the no passing zone, I could not see the center-line beginning the no passing zone ahead, when I started to pass. That only came into view when I almost completed my pass. My option was to complete the pass safely, or abort the pass and pull back in behind the police car??? I think the latter would have exposed us both to more danger than just completing the pass...Just my opinion and perhaps the police officer realized this...and perhaps reviewing this incident in his mind, he may have agreed?

...Rich

Todd Z,

I will take your advice and get a few Power-Ball tickets and see if my luck is changing. :grin: I guess the odds of talking an officer out of a ticket has got to be some extraordinary odds....probably close to 292 million to one? :bwahaha:

...Rich

Latest posts