Hitch rattle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
I have a Class III Hitch on my '04 ST (Hidden Hitch). The receiver is a little loose and rattles when I go over rough roads or bumps. I know they make a plastic insert that even has holes for the licking pin that tightens the fit of the receiver but can not find it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where I could find one of these?

If not, then does anyone have any other solutions for this problem. I have considered lining my hitch with some silicone to stop the rattle. Or even just shoving a wood wedge in there to make it tight. I never take it out so it could be semi permenant. Any ideas?

LOL.... I had the same thing but with my hitch cover....

I used a small black bungee cord, stopped the rattle and you cant see it...

Todd Z

If the receiver is loose, I would tighten the bolts. If you use the receiver when it is loose, you could actually loose the whole receiver if you try to tow something with it.

Caymen, you are correct, the hitch is very tight to the vehicle. The part that is rattling is the ball mount insert. I looked on etrailer and a few other websites and just found a rattle stopper but they are metal and cost like $30. The part that I am talking about it just a cheap peice of plastic that is inserted over your ball mount that makes it fit snug in the 2" receiver hole. I have seen one at a store somewhere and even held it in my hand months back before the rattling got out of control, but I can not for the life of me remember where I saw it and I have been looking everywhere.

Turn the radio up. :lol:

I am told that last year my state passed a law making it illegal to drive around with your ball mount in and no trailer.

I have the same problem with the receiver I bought last year. It was like a 6 dollar receiver. I was sick of it, so I bought a Reese brand one instead for like $12, and that one doesn't rattle.

Brett

Yeah I have heard of some states making it illegal to drive around with the hitch and no trailer, but luckily, Louisiana is not one of those states. I have had the ST for about a year now and it has saved me from two fender benders because of the Hitch. I was hit by a drunk driver once that fled the scene (my hitch with a 2" ball on it went through his bumper, be backed it out and drove off really fast when I got out to try to get his info...he was swerving everywhere). I was also hit by an old lady...the hitch put a nice V in her bumper but not a scratch on the ST thanks to the hitch.

It is definately a great thing to have to save the bumper.

I have tried to last a few months with just ignoring it, but it keeps making me think something is wrong with the truck. I am always making sure my shocks are tightly connected and making sure my suspension is all together. I just want to get it fixed.

Anyway, I am going to try and keep looking around. If I can not find anything, I will just use some silicone or electrical tape. Thanks for the ideas.

Latest posts