1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

High amp fuse question

Thread in 'Electrical - General' started by LARRY E STROHM, Jan 4, 2020.

1. LARRY E STROHM

LARRY E STROHM Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

First what exactly is the description when ordering high amp fuses for my 05 sport trac... Tall J case 20 amp ? These are the larger ones under the hood in the power distribution box. Seems that if I use the cigarette lighter it blows #19 20 amp fuse out,(so I tossed the lighter). Anyway everything runs OK except the OBD ii . While fuse hunting the last few weeks I've noticed my fuel consumption went from 20 mpg to 10 mpg. Could this OBD II cause this?

2. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Please don't install a larger fuse... the wiring cant handle it. Look in all the lighters and see if there is a penny in there.
    Winter gas, idling and other factors cause poor MPG. if the CEL is not on then no. Its large fuses, just google and you should be able to find them.

3. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

My '04 has a 5amp fuse one the side panel, inside the cab. It is for the OBD II plug power. Also the lighter. I replaced the lighter unit. I still cant use it for light duty power plug. It blows the 5amp fuse every time. So I put a rubber plug in the lighter hole. I use the one on the console only.