Hesitation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
I've recently had the need to "punch" the accelerator and I noticed a huge hesitation in the pedal-to-wheel response. Truth is - I pulled out in front of someone that I didn't see and had to haul a$$ so he didn't hit me (my fault totally).

After that experience, I've been punching it a little more often only to notice a good second or two delay.

The only mod I have is a Throttle Body - that's it.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get a more direct response from my foot?

The 07 has what is known as Ramp in.... IT stinks....

Only thing is to get an Xcal and have that adjusted out with a performance tune..

Ford did this to keep the emissions, and MPG good and save the drivetrain.....

Personally I hate it..

Todd Z

Jeesh... that's my only option? :( I really don't want (or need) an Xcalc just to make the truck run like it should. :angry: I agree that the mpg is very good for a V8 but I don't understand what the drive train has to do with it. :wacko:

Please explain.

Almost all new cars are Drive-by-wire. This means that you no longer have an actual cable connecting your gas pedal to the throttle body. The TB is now controlled electronically, so no matter how hard you put your foot into it, if the ECM doesn't agree with you, it can override your input and do what it thinks is best. This is used to aid in some traction and stability control systems, as well as emissions and fuel economy.

While it does have its upsides, it also often causes a slight delay between your input and the motor's response. I've heard many say this is making some of the newer stick shift cars very hard to drive smoothly, although I don't think I've driven any myself.

Good explanation Dan...

In regards to how it relates to the drive train. If Ford can control the engine power ramp up by softening the 'hit', they are essentially softening the pressure on the tranny, drive shaft, differential, etc. by limiting how hard the power is applied to those components. Long term they are banking on this reducing the frequency of tranny rebuilds due to excessive wear and tear on the listed components.

You know Red, I never really thought about that side of it, but that's a good point as well.

Our 2005 Mazda 6 had it, and that was the only thing I disliked about that car. It tended to be very jerky at times and the delay made it hard to very quickly ease into a hard acceleration, if that makes sense. I always had the tendency to put my foot into it a little more than I intended because I didn't get the instant feeling of acceleration, but then when it did kick in I was giving it way more throttle than I wanted and it would take off really hard as that 3.0 V6 had quite a bit of power.

It seems to be something that the manufacturers are getting better with though. I have 2-3 different rental cars a month for a week or so at a time, and since they're typically 2008 and newer models, I'm pretty sure most of them have the drive by wire. I really haven't found any of them to be nearly as bad as the Mazda was, so I guess they're improving.

wife's 03 mazda 6 v6 AT won't fall out of a tree from a stop, but if you're going 45 mph or better and punch it, hang on it will fly then.

For what it's worth: I have an '07 V8 ST which I bought new. When I first got the vehicle, I had a hard time adjusting my driving style to the drive-by-wire system. But now that I've had it for three years, I don't seem to have any problem with delays, hesitation etc.

So, either the system has learned to accomodate my driving style or I've learned to accomodate the system. Whichever it is, I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever.

Latest posts