helping my buddy change rotors...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
Question everyone,

my buddy has an 89 toyota p/u, 4wd w/manual locking hubs. The rotors need to be replaced and it appears we have to disasemble the hub to get the rotor off. We got everything out but the but the hub still wouldn't budge. Every screw and nut was removed that we could find. anyone have any experience with this?

Is there a "nut" holding the wheel bearings in? If so, that's the ticket.

You have to remove the "Lock" hub and there is a bearing nut under it to get the tire hub off. The Diff lock is it's own PITA to get off also. At least the one on my '89 Toy was.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
we were able to remove the wheel bearings. unscrewed the cap off the hub, pulled off the gasket, spring, bearings, and gear. Unscrewed about 10 screwes from around the outside of the hub and there is space between the hub and the rotor. Almost feels like there is a locking pin or a spring clip that I can't seem to find still holding it on.

stonemiser, can you get the bearing nut off with a regular socket wrench? There was also a bolt and washer directly in the center of the hub that we unscrewed once we had everything else out

What I used was a screwdriver and hammer. I think it would have been easier to get a socket but hell, I'm a typical male, I use what I have. If I was at home I'd open my Haynes manual and tell ya but I'm working at the hospital right now.;)

Normally you need a special 4WD socket for the 2 lock nuts inside the hub...

Todd Z

usually these require a bit of force to get of the rotors of a car that old. a prybar or a prybar around the edges and see if you can get it o move. put a good amount of force in it. if you feel it moving then you probably just have to apply more force. very rarly to you have to use special tools.

Justin

Stone, we actually had the haynes book which makes it worse!

Todd, I was thinking that I might need a special socket and need to unscrew one of the "gears" that I could see.

Sorry jlevin, it's been about four years since I did that to my Toy. I'm trying to think how I got it apart. I know I ran into something stupid with mine and once I got it figured out I was like "stupid" and it came right apart. Am I correct that you are trying to get the Hub off the truck and not already off trying to get the rotor off the hub. I do know it's a real PITA setup because the rotor is bolted on from behind the hub, so it all has to come off to get to the bolts. Wish I could be of more help. I did have both a Haynes AND Chilton manual and between the two you could get the job done. It may have been the Chilton that helped me get it apart.

Stonemiser,

you are correct,, we can't get the hub off to get to the rotor. It really does seem like a sbad setup. Is changing the front rotors on our STs this hard?

BTW caymen, not to hijakc my own thread, but I hear you have done a conversion of the rear brakes from drums to discs, is that true? how much and how hard to do?

jlevin75, no the rotors on the ST are easier to replace. Remove the caliper, remove the caliper holding plate, and off with the rotors. Did you guys ever get the Toy's off?

Here is is. Before and after.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Actually is isn't that hard. You have to fabricate a brake line, use 2003 E-Brake cables, and buy a few odds and ends. You have to remove your differential cover to remove the spider gear pins to pull the axle clips. Slide the axle out, remove old backing plate and mount new plate. Put axles back together and reassemble everything.

Tom

Stonemiser, We're going to give it a go again this coming Sunday. the truck is not in use right now.

Caymen, that looks sweet, I really will have to look at doing that mod this coming spring.