***HELP***

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Ok my dad has a 2002 RangerXLT 4x4. Today someone came to test drive it and buy it. Outside it is cold and all roads are dry. HE took it around the block. When he came back, he said that when he put it in 4wd high and tried turning at a residential roundyabout(traffic circle), he said it stuttered and didnt let him turn and tried killing the engine, the rpms went down and the wheeels started locking up. Then when he put it back in 2wd it was fine. But on the straight away (in 4wd)it was fine. My dad drove it and got the same result.

What is wrong with it and how much would it cost to fix? Is it serious? Does it ahve anything to do with the dry pavement or the car doing a wide u turn about 30 seconds after thee 4wd is engaged??

Help ,someone :eek: Please!

That is what i was thinking too, because we never ever had problem with the 4wd, because we used it in snow only? He said that it "sounded pretty serious". HE said he owned a ranger before. So i dont know.

You CANNOT run a part time 4wd vehicle on dry pavement. This is due to the locked center differential, and the fact that the front and rear tires are turning at different speeds, thus the binding that was felt. The truck is fine, the 4x4 is functioning normally.

The herkey jerkey is NORMAL for a ford.....

Todd Z

It is normal for ALL vehicles that do not have a center differential.

The guy that drove it is an absolute moron. The owners manual even tell you this.

[Broken External Image]:

Your dad's Ranger could have sustained a broken driveshaft, a broken half shaft, or a trashed transfercase. Though it is highly unlikely to happen, it is still possible.

If you have the owners manual, look it up yourself.

Tom

Hi,

Yeah we called him and for some reason he agreed instantly like he was joking around with us. I know, even though i am younger and stupider then him i knew that you cant drive with 4wd on dry pavement. Could ve just asked to go to some field or wait until some snow (this friday) and then test drive the 4wd. But just in case something is wrong, we will know by Saturday, going to drive it in the snow and see what happens.

I dont believe that he owned a Ranger before, what an idiot!!

Latest posts