Help with wallmounting a plasma

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Vincent

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience hanging a plasma tv on a wall. I am going to be doing this over the weekend and want to know if there are any tricks to it. It is a 50" set and it weights about 110 pounds.

Thanks,

Peter

buy a proper mount that will easily hold the weight of the TV, make sure you are attatching it t a studs, not to drywall. get a friend to help.

It is not all that difficult. As long as you bought the support bracket. They run about 300 from best Buy. You just need to make sure that the Anchor bolts that they give you are driven into wood studs. The standard Drywall will not hold the weight.

When you buy the bracket it comes with a bunch of different mounting conditions included so once you read the instructions in there it shuold be much clearer.

I used to be in A/V integrations so I have done more than my fair-share of flat panel installations. My advice to you would be to think things thru very well before doing anything. Double and triple measure to ensure your mounting measurements are accurate and as mentioned above, ancored well. Think ahead about viewing angle and in particular viewing height from your chair. A dumb trend is to mount these above fireplaces. The heat given off can be a life-shortener for the panel and the view angle is always too high. Take into account the ambient light from the window and where a glare might be on the screen during different times of the day. Then lastly, plan smartly about the tucking of the wires. Do it safely even if you have to hire an electrician. You did not spend the money to have a sexy flat panel on the wall and then have wires hanging down to your receivers. It just looks bad. Snake the cables thru the wall.

Good luck.:rolleyes:

For the cost of the wall mount we ended up buying a TV cabinet with one built into it. The stand is 2.5 ft tall and you can raise the mount up to 18" off the stand. Perfect viewing height when sitting on the couch. The stand was 400.00 and we needed one for the Comcast Box and DVD Player anyways.

I'm still waiting for the price of TV lift cabinets to go down. When they do, there will be a nice 32" LCD at the foot of the bed in our master bedroom...click of the wrist, and it exposes itself, ready for action...perfect for the bedroom.

TJR

Peter, it's actually pretty easy and I have done 3 in the last couple of months-none of them for me though :(

The others gave great advice, but I just wanted to add 1 thing. Make sure to buy the correct bracket for the tv. A lot of stores will sell you one saying it will fit but in the meanting the mounting holes don't lign up. Check this before you do any drilling into the walls and make sure to get a quality mount.

George

Thanks for all the great info. It is for the bedroom. I just looked for lift cabinets, wow thats not an option at around $2500 for what I would need. Hope this project goes well.

Thanks again,

Peter

Latest posts