HELP with a Functional Hood Scoop/Fender heat release louvers!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveDeep 07

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone here has or knows anyone that has added a functional hood scoop to their Sport Trac or Explorer? I have a 2002 SportTrac and am wanting to add this for better breathing purposes and to rid the hot air under the hood. Please send pictures from other sites if anyone knows of any or of your vehicle! I am also wanting to add side vent louvers to the fenders. Thanks, Gary

Gary, someone here runs a shaker hood, i think its a lund, not sure. brendon made a true cold air out which is pretty cool. and then Wayne a site sponsor, can get us carbon fiber hoods if 5 of us will put up the dough 5-6 bills. tryin to get a list together, that paticular hood looks the best of all.

I really need a functional ram-air type hood, or virtually anything to get more air under the hood for cooling and/or intake purposes. With the supercharger, you can HEAR the air being sucked up. At highway speeds, the amount of boost seems so much greater since the engine is actually GETTING some air (albeit a small amount since the FIPK is stuffed behind the passenger-side headlight assembly). When I had my dodge ram, I made a "custom" ram-air intake. It looked completely ignorant, but it did make a difference in performance. The sport trac engine/intake is so closed off that I wouldn't even know where to start to design my own "custom" setup.

I really think my supercharger could be even BETTER if I could get more air to the intake. Chances are that I'll take it into my own hands and set up something similar to the one I had on my Ram. PVC pipe is your friend. It just looks SO stupid. haha

Brendon's air mod probably wouldn't get me any more air than I have now, nor would it be cooler since the FIPK I have is blocked off from the engine bay. Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
"BrandOn's"

lol, just biting your ass.;) No it might not get you more but it will still be a little cooler than anything restricted to the engine compartment. I say get a scoop. Even if it isn't ram air. Any extra air, especially cooler outside air, beling pulled into the engine compartment will definately help.