Help with 94' Tempo

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chase Straw

Reaction score
I agreed to help my wife's coworker out with her old car she is giving to her son. It is a 94' Tempo with 4 cyl, it has been sitting a while. When she stopped driving it the cooling fan would not shut off. I replaced the fan control unit (a little black box with multiple relays in it) and started it up and the fan works great comes on about half way up the gauge shut off after it goes down a bit, always on when ac is on. The problem is that now (she is not sure if cel was on before it was parked) there are 2 codes being detected 21 coolant sensor out of range, and 40 Cylinder #4 Failed Cylinder Balance Test. The code 40 is the one that concerns me because i thought changing plugs, wires, cap and rotor would solve it, however it did not. My next step is a compression test to see if cylinder 4 is just dead. I don't really know where to go from there, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't really know where to go from there, any help would be appreciated.

If #4 is dead, then consider Dave's Farm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3SKj7ldh3I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3SKj7ldh3I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It can be either a cylinder issue and or a Fuel Injector issue.

To test to see if the injector is being told to work, one of the best tools is the NOID LIGHT (LAMP).

Simply unplug the harness from the injector and plug in the Noid Lamp. If it flashes when you turn it over, the system is working to the point of the injector itself.

If you get a good compression, then I would say the issue is the injector assuming the noid lamp flashes.

fuel filter ???

Todd Z

Latest posts