Help: Timing Chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Flood

Reaction score
Went to the Ford dealer yesterday for a rattling/clicking noise. Guy says its something loose in my timing chain on the front of the engine. He also said not to worry about it unless it gets worse... :unsure: But i dont like it!!! I know its a pain to take the front of the engine apart to get to it, how much would the labor most likely cost?

Your looking at about $1500 on the light side for labor. You can try to change oils perhaps 10w30 or even synthetic but the damage may already be done. You can try a different dealer and see what they say.

mine has the same problem

the noise is annoyin

it might be the timing chain, and labor for that is outrages..

it may also be just your tensioner...

or it could be your oil liek that guy said..but i dotn think it could be that

Is the noise at idle only or when driving ???

if at idle, try lightly raising the idle with your foot, keep it under 1K.... IF the noise goes away, it was the same noise I had...

I raised my idle from the factory 650 to 850 and all my chain noises went away....

Todd Z

A buddy of mine works at freightliner. I'm thinkin about gettin some 15w40 oil and changing my adjusting my idle as Todd said. Will this be ok?

It is your Trac. Do what you want to do. If it were me, I would use the same oil as before and raise the idle a little. Changing the oil to molasis will lower the fuel economy (a hot topic today), increase wear at start-up (hear a grinding noise in cooler weather), and not change anything.

Hey, what do I know.

Tom

The oil you use should reflect the area you live in, and the local temperature. If you don't expect it to get that cold, you can use 10w-30. If you do expect cold, stick with the 5w-30. If you expect hot, like Arizona hot, use 15w-40.

Latest posts