Help, sick ST first gear-Redux

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimB Butler

Reaction score
Hi all,

Todd Z, I am in great need of you expert opinion or anyone else with some insight. I have a 2002, Gen 2, automatic transmission ST with 129706 miles. While moving in first gear, I get this whining noise. It sounds like there is no oil in the engine. It's hard to tell if the noise is coming from the engine or transmission since it only happens when I move. Which is not the case. The oil and transmission fluid is fine. After it shifts into second and subsequent gears, all is well. No noise while in park or neutral. Any ideas what could be the cause? Anything you can come up with could be a great help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this posts.

TimB

Mine did the same thing and it ended up being a problem with the hub assembly(bearings if I recall). Does the noise stop when you turn? If so then that's what it is. My noise stopped on right turns and it was the left hub. Try it on an exit ramp or maybe a big empty lot while its making the noise. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was also an issue with the earlier Transmissions making a planetary wine, the only thing was to rebuild the transmission for a noise that causes NO damage..

Unfortunately I can not be 100% sure with what it is without being there....

Todd Z

I'm willing to bet its the planetary whine. I have that noise in first and second gears. When my trac was under warranty, the dealer and ford rep told me they are completely aware of the noise but will not cause any harm or damage to the trans. Its best to leave it alone.

You can always try some <a href='http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/slipping_transmission.htm'target=top> lucas transmission fix</a>. I haven't used the product but have read about others on ranger and explorer boards having used it with positive results.

Latest posts