Help - remote keyless entry unit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought 03 FEST in October. Came with only one RKE (4-button remote start type) well worn - Ford factory unit. Suddenly it's started wigging out - sometimes works, sometimes not -sometimes it locks doors but sometimes they pop unlocked a few seconds later. New battery didn't help.

Question #1: Assuming that the solution lies with having to get new key fobs, do I have to go through a Ford dealership ($$$'s) for the new fobs or are there cheaper solutions to this.

Question #2: In the programming instructions, the manual refers to a "programming/override button under the instrument panel" - nowhere in any materials does it explain exactly where this is - I found a small metallic button mounted against the center console down near the gas pedal - is this it?

Question #3: The door-mounted keypad has never worked - when I try to enter the factory numbers on the enclosed card (which are supposed to work no matter what personal code may have been entered), the alarm goes off immediately upon entering the first number. Any advice?

As you can see, I'm trying to avoid driving helplessly into the Ford dealership with the above problems - ka-ching.

Will appreciate any advice offered.

Geraldo

Last edited by a moderator:
A1: Not sure, but I believe that Ford doesn't make alarms or remote starters. While what you have may have been installed by the dealer, it probably is not a Ford product. Probably a less expensive alternative, but you have to determine the manufacturer. It may be Code-Alarm. Phone (in the U.S. and Canada): (800) 421-3209

A2: The override button may be located anywhere under the dash the installer chose. You can test whether it is the alarm override button by attempting to unlock via the keypad on the door (reference question 3). Continue with the combination to unlock the door and press the button. If it is the override button, the alarm will silence. If this does not work, try again, but put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "On" position before pressing the button (I believe this is how mine works).

A3: See above. For entry detection and activation, alarms typically sense a current change. When a door is opened, the interior lights go on changing the current. The door keypad triggers the interior lights and this is detected by the alarm. The alarm sounds, but does not deactivate the door keypad (i.e., it should still unlock the doors).

The Code-Alarm system that I have (the "System 3") can be setup with a 15 second delay feature. This should be plenty of time to get the full combination entered.

Actually, Code-Alarm makes the OEM accessory alarms and remote start systems for Ford and GM. What is the engineering number on the back of the remote? If you can't find one, post up a pic of the remote and I can tell if it is an OEM accessory.

Thanks for the help guys. Since I posted this, I dug in and did some sleuthing of my own and found out it was a contractual arrangement between Ford and PowerCode (Code Systems Inc.) handled by AutoAlarmPro.com - They were really helpful. The 4-button replacement keyfob is $47.00. I also found the override button. What was confusing was that the alarm goes off the second I push a number on the door keypad - it doesn't do that on my Escape, just unlocks the door. It's an annoying feature. The old key fob was so worn that there was no information on the back of it (it was printed on an insert not embossed in the plastic - good thinking NOT. Anyway, I think I've got it under control - still think Ford would have charged me at least $100 or more to work this out.

You might still want to investigate the delay for the alarm. If I recall correctly, a stereo and alarm shop quoted $35.00 to make any changes I wanted to the setup. The installation manual has instructions on setup. If you can get a copy of it, you can do it yourself.

Thanks for the responses guys, but I spoke too soon. My two new key fobs arrived today and I went out to program them according to the directions and encountered a problem (nothing's simple). I'm not sure where the fault lies but all directions say to turn the key on and push and hold the program button until the horn chirps 3 times and the doors lock and unlock - then push the #1 button on each remote waiting for the door locks to activate. PROBLEM IS, when I push and hold the program button, the horn chirps 3 times but the door locks don't make a sound - also when I proceed to push the button on the new fobs to program them - nothing happens. So, the problem seems to lie somewhere with the internal reset system itself not activating the door locks to put the car in full "learning" mode. I'll be phoning the tech help at AutoAlarmPro to hear what they have to say. Anyone have any insight into this?

Geraldo,

If you are simply trying to program the new key fobs, I think you are not getting in to the program mode.

With your door open, Insert the key in the ignition and turn it On then off about 7 times, and do this fairly quickly.. when the door locks cycle, stop and leave the key in the on position.

Press the Lock button on BOTH fobs, one at a time. Then turn the key off. It should cycle the locks again, and both fobs should be active now.. The dealer showed me this.

Let me know if this works for you. It worked on our 01 Taurus, our 01 ST, and our 04 Freestar.

Dave

Dave:

Your scheme works on my Escape too. BUT, the aftermarket remote start, 4-button units are different from the OEM RKEs. These systems include an under dash program/bypass button that is part of the programming scheme - mine is not activating the locks for some reason, only the alarm. I can always try the other method just for the heck of it (nothing to lose) - I just have this nightmare/fear of setting the alarm off and not being able to shut it off. Thanks for the helping advice.

After visiting the Ford agency and being told that I could only use their product (2x more expensive than internet), I called again to AutoAlarmPro and read him the numbers inside the keyfob on the circuit board - whereupon he said, oh I sent you the wrong ones. He sent me two others and I went to program them and was able to program them. My system only beeps the horn 3 times to open programming (doesn't have to activate the door locks). Success at last. If anyone else has to order these keyfobs and there are no numbers on the outside case, open it up and look on the upper corner of the circuit board and there will be a set of letters and numbers that will identify the correct replacement.