Help rear upper linkl arm bushing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Partridge

Reaction score
Just got out the old one and for the life of me not sure how to get the new one in on the outside. I bought a new controll arm and bushing from Ford. Do I need to torch

the whole it goes into and freez the bearing ? seems .25 over size. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the bushing in the freezer, a few hours. Heat the control arm bushing hole. Use a socket the size of the bushing outer. If you dont have a large vise for a press. Beat it in quikly. Lube the bushing outer sleeve.

any ideas on getting the old one out

Fast way without a press. Use a torch and burn the rubber out. Then a good chisel in a vise and split the outer sleeve. Or assy a hacksaw blade in the ID and split it.

Torch it in a well ventilated area. Most of the time the rubber will crumble out fairly quik.

+1 Eddie, and torching them. Hold them over a water bucket while burning.

Will usually pry out easily. Be careful, lot's of toxic smoke. Very fast though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The upper link end of the bushing was stuck in the bracket that holds the caliper on.

The fuel fill line is also on that side. I did place some sheet metal around it.

I guess my Napa torch was not hot enough to do much good. The odd thing is that the dealership only carried the outside bushing . I had to buy a new link that had the inside bushing installed. Seems odd . Part source in our area could not get it either.

I was hoping for a poly urethane bushing . Hard to believe the poor quality of material in today's vehicles. Rubber use to last thirty years. Next project upper controll arm had

to buy complete can't replace upper ball joint. And both rear wheel bearings. Again on a 07 140 klm . Thanks for all the replys :haveabeer: