Help please, yet again....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad AlbertoJr

Reaction score
Alright,

I have a manual transmission. My ST has about 77k on it, 2002. One morning a couple of weeks ago, I went to start my truck. stepped on the clutch, turned the key, and the truck lurched forward and stalled. I pressed my clutch again and it was to the floor, with no pressure. I looked at the fluid (checked it about 3 weeks prior, it was fine) and it was gone. Pressure came back, drove to autozone, and it happened again at a stop sign. I finally made it to autozone and filled it back up again. The problem went away.

This morning the same thing happened again! This time, the fluid level was fine. It happened a couple of times on my way to work too. I kept getting stuck at lights not being able to get into first!!!

Any opinions/suggestions? The only thing I can think of is that there is air in the lines, but this being my first 5 speed I dont have much experience with them.

Thanks again guys/gals.

Conrad.

We have the manual 5-speed also, so I recommend you change out the master cylinder and fluid. Does not sould as if you need a new clutch, but...

edit 1: Dang Eddie you beat me while I was typing.

edit 2: Also, I was told that the tranny fluid needs to be changed about every 30k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be the master cylinder also......

Have to have them both checked..... but at 77K miles it is getting time to think about a new clutch.... you have to remove the transmission to change the slave cylinder any way....

Todd Z

Conrad

I had almost the same problem w/ my nissan maxima. I had a leaking line that went to the slave cylinder. I changed the slave cylinder and everything works fine. I think there would be no need to change the master cylinder. The slave is a lot cheaper so I would change it first.

Charles

Charles I think on the maxima the slave is outside the transmission correct???

on the ST you have to remove the tranny to change it...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're right todd. I just dropped the ST off at a place here by my office. They told me the slave would be alot more expensive since they would have to remove the whole transmission. They're giving me a questimate for free, so I'll know in a couple of hours what the problem is. If it is the slave should I just change the clutch too?

I will officially be poor after im done with this car!

I personally would change the clutch also, the clutch kit is only 200 bucks and the labor is almost done for you.....

You can do what you want, but no one can accurate tell you how much life is left on the clutch now..

Todd Z

I know, times like this make me really wish I hadn't had moved to phoenix. Our family had a mechanic that gave us huge price breaks because he was family.

my poor car feels like everything is falling apart on it.

At the beginning of the month my armrest broke. then my check engine light came on for the 02 sensor. Two weeks ago my windshield developed a growing crack in it. Last week the little handle on the passenger side came off on one side. Now this.....:(

Conrad, you might change your oil quick. The next thing to go bad maybe the motor.:eek:

Just trying to help you smile from the bad streak:)

I had the same symptoms you are describing... $700 later and I have a new clutch and slave cylinder... Remember that your slave cylinder on our trucks is part of the throw out bearing, so the only way to change it is to drop the tranny and while your at it might as well have the flywheel turned and get the clutch replaced...

I got my car back...

Damage: The master and slave cylinders are leaking, and throwing a new clutch in there would bring the grand total to 1181.46!!!!

It's supposed to be a very reputable place, but kinda pricey isn't it?

By them telling you the master and slave are leaking, sounds like they are guessing which one is bad, I would get a second opinion...

Todd Z

Latest posts