Help ,my trac wouldn't start!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Miller

Reaction score
My 2002 Sport Trac (80,000 miles) failed to start on Monday. My wife had to take me to work(10:00 pm). It would crank but not start. When I got off work(6:30 am) I tried to start it and fired right up easily. I didn't drive it all weekend and outside temperatures have been hot( 90F) but it was cool when it started (67F). What may have caused this? Is something ready to fail? Just a fluke?

When mine did that, it was caused by wires pulled loose in the steering column.

My wife was driving the 2001 Sport Trac and complained that it would not start. When I got home from work, it would start right up? It did this intermittently for months. Finally, it would not start when my wife was visiting family in Louisiana. The truck was still under warranty, so she called a local Ford dealer. They towed the truck to the shop and worked on it all day before one Tech remembered a TSB that said the wiring harness in the steering column can get pulled loose and cause intermittentent problems when the Tilt wheel is moved. Sure enough he checked and found the connector in the steering column was pulled apart enough to cause loose connections. He fully plugged the connector and pulled up a bit more slack in the steering column wiring harness and I never had the problem again.

The loose connection in the steering column can cause very strange intermittent problems with any circuit that runs through the steering column...that includes ignition, starter, accessories, turn signals, headlights, taillights, horn, wipers, cruise control, etc.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Same symptom as mine. Happened repeatedly over the course of several months. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Even the Dealer couldnt figure

it out and had driven stopped/started the car 100 miles or so. They didnt guaranty is was the FP but I made the call to change it out. $1600 late all is well.

CHECK the wiring in the passenger kick panel going to the inertia switch, it goes to the fuel pump and could be burnt or melted.... IF not, Fuel pump

Todd Z

Nick,

I agree with Todd Z and Lester (ptf18) that it could be the fuel pump. I reread your post and realized that you tried to start the truck immediately after it would not start and it started right up...that's the symptoms of a leaking fuel pump. Early model Sport Tracs had a known problem with the fuel pump (in the tank) leaking fuel if left to sit for hours or overnight. I also had that leaking fuel pump problem with my 2001 Sport Trac.

To verify that it is the fuel pump...turn the ignition on in the morning but do not try to crank the engine. If it's quiet and you have good ears, you should hear the fuel pump running. It will only run for about 15 seconds then shut off because the engine is not running. That should build up pressure in the fuel system. Now shut the ignition off. It's important that you shut the ignition off before you actually start the engine...I think it resets something in the ECU or fuel pump circuit. Now attempt to start the engine. If it starts right up then it is most likely the leaking fuel pump problem...and the pump needs to be replaced because the condition will continue to get worse and eventually it will not be able to build sufficient pressure to start the engine.

...Rich

It's important that you shut the ignition off before you actually start the engine ...

It runs the fuel pump another cycle, which should be enough.

If this "workaround" works, it may continue to work for many months. I mention this only to illustrate that repair is not necessarily a "do it tomorrow" thing.

Yardsale,

Yes, I agree that if this work-around solves the starting issue, it is not something that needs to be fixed immediately, but I know of others who confirm that the condition gets worse with time and sometimes total failure happens very quickly. That may leave you stranded when you least expect it, and often at the worst time.

When you know there is a known problem and you find a work-around...consider that advanced notice not to put off the needed repairs too long. :grin:

...Riich

Agreed, and my personal approach is fix as soon a possible (because a workaround is just that, and not a fix).

Latest posts