HELP!! My Trac won't start up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Despite having driven it with no problems only a few hours earlier, my Trac refused to start up when I needed to head out for work. There were signs of power (lights, power locks, other accessories functioning) but when I turned the key, there was absolutely no reaction. Starter didn't even attempt to crank. No clicking from engine as I held the key in start position. Just nothing.

I checked position of the gear shifter, getting no reaction in Park or Neutral. Also, after attempting to crank, a clicking sound started to come up from under the dash, near the brake pedal. About the same time, my Garmin GPS also popped on as if I'd just plugged it in. It would continue to randomly beep back and forth as though I were plugging and unplugging it. Both the under dash clicking and GPS beeping continued even after returning key to the off position.

That's as far as I got before pulling the battery cable and catching a ride to work. Battery is right at 3 yrs old, but hasn't been showing signs of going dead (long cranks, needing a jump, etc.). Connections seemed okay and without serious corrosion.

Any thought or ideas? I'm hoping to go after it some more tomorrow after I'm home from night shift. Thanks. :banana:

These electronic systems don't show signs of battery dying. Suddenly, there isn't enough power to run the systems. CLICK-CLICK-CLICK ...

Battery.

Clean connections.

Get a jump to narrow possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing happened to me couple weeks ago, go to start nothing. It started fine night before, tried to start it just few clicks thats it. So take battery to have tested and sure enough showed bad, it was almost 3.5 years old, so got a new battery, cranked right up, no problems since.

If there was Nothing after driving, was something left on? volt test battery, then go from there, Check connections, Check fuses, and once that step move on with the diagnosis. May need to replace battery and test charging system.

Todd Z

Thing I'm worried about was the clicking coming from under the dash. I've never had a dead battery act like that. Thought there might be a short somewhere or a drain.

I was able to get a jump today and it seemed to run okay. No more clicking or anything else. When I had Advance Auto check the battery and alternator, the alt came up okay but battery said to still need a charge. Will go to Walmart tomorrow and see if they'll replace the battery as it's still under full-replacement warranty for about a week. Will have to see what happens then.

These trucks are never truly Off. I believe the clicking is the GEM or relays controlled by the GEM, cycling.

If you get a new battery, you should be set. If not, and the battery test was a quick charge and test, it may not have tested the battery adequately. Get a longer charge and test.

Jump start it. If it starts, it's the battery. Mind did the same thing a few years back. I started it, drove it up on my ramps to change the oil, and when I tried to start it to back down the ramps it was dead. New battery fixed it. It showed no symptoms of having a weak battery before this.

What Yardsale said about the battery charge/test.

Even if the battery is properly charged, it can still test good with the quickie test most places do, but in fact be bad. I sold batteries for 9 years and know what to look for. A few years ago I had a battery I was absolutely sure was bad. Took it to Walmart under warranty. The guy did the quick test and said it was good. I asked him to run the longer test where the battery is put under load a few times. Thought I was going to have to get violent with him to get him to do the longer test. He finally agreed. When I came back an hour later he said the battery was bad. Got a new one for no charge under warranty.

Two or three times I've gone to start my ST and got nothing when I turned the key. No problems starting previously. Cleaned the terminals and it started right off.

The guy did the quick test and said it was good. I asked him to run the longer test where the battery is put under load a few times.

Duane, I had the same issue with a freinds battery at AZ a while back. He swore it was a good battery. After me making him use a different load machine in the back. He agree'd with me and replaced the battery. Sometimes the idiots' at these places get to me also...

Latest posts