Help me diagnose?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
Can someone help me diagnose this problem?

I have a 2001 ST, 4x4

I've been having a rough ride for awhile now. Mostly while stopping, turning or going over 60mph. I changed my wheel bearings and brakes and still have this issue (they both needed done anyhow). when i jack up the front end, both tires kick in about 3/4 of an inch when they come off the ground. The front tires both have tread wear on the inside edge. Is this more indicative of tie rod ends, upper/lower ball joints, or something else?

Thanks !!

you don't mention how many miles on the truck, ever had an alignment, or checked recently, new shocks, oem shocks, is the inner tire wear even or cupped? The more info you give, the better the diagnois will be.

jimp, 91,000 miles, i have oem shocks on but i have some rancho RS58000's that im gonna go put on in a couple of minutes. alignment was checked 3 years ago when i had new tires put on. the truck rides strait, i can let go of the wheel and ride strait. the tires have a slight even wear on the inside. no cupping that i can tell.

OEM shocks were junk at 0 miles. I imagine at 91k they are totally impotent. Change your shocks, and ditto what Jimp, downsouth, and SFCEd say!

I replaced all 4 shocks, the ride is a little better but not how it should be. I guess the best way to describe it is a soft grinding feel, mostly when i'm breaking and going around a turn (especially a curved expressway on/off ramp) It's definately NOT the wheel bearings as i just changed them. I'm thinking now that it's my tires. I think the bad bearings i had on there caused my tires to wear and that wear is giving me the rough ride. The rear tires are in really good shape, i'm thinking about swapping the fronts and the rears and seeing how it goes. I just replaced these tires a couple of years ago and probably don't have 25,000 miles on them, don't want to have to get new ones already!!

On a side note, those shocks were a real pain in the rear to change ! EVERYTHING was rusted up. That's what i get for living in northeast Ohio !! It took me 2 hours to get the front ones off. I accually had to break the stud on top of the oem shocks to remove them. The rears took almost 3 hours and a half of a can of PB Blaster. I had to even replace the bolts that hold on the breather box because they basically disintigrated when i took them off !

Latest posts