Help! In the middle of a lighting project, hit snag

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - I am literally in the middle of installing some PIAA fog lights and Hella driving lights, and am having a very difficult time finding the hot wire for the headlights and high beams (need to connect the fog to the headlamp + and the driving to the high beam + )

I have a 2001 ST - can anyone please help? Not sure how to accomplish this. Does anyone have a wiring diagram to the stock headlight switch? Or is there an easier way?

THANKS!

Travis

The easier way is to tap into the circuits behind the headlights. I can't remember exactly which prong is which, but I think the top prong is ground, the left prong (when looking at the wire connection on the truck side) is hi beam+, and the other prong is headlight +.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response. I will give it a shot.... I am new to electrical/wiring, so not really sure what I'm doing... wish me luck!

Thanks

Travis

Travis,

I hooked up the power for my auxiliary driving lights to come on with the high beams like you're trying to do. Look behind Fuse #33 in the passenger compartment fuse panel (the one located on the left end of the dash, next to the driver's door). This is the high beam fuse. There's a single larger wire (14/16 ga) colored gray w/orange stripe coming in from the multi-function switch, and two smaller wires (18 ga) colored light green w/black stripe going out to the headlights. You can tap into one of these wires for your aux. light power.

Thanks everyone, you guys are the best. Wired up all the lights and everything works just fine (I was shocked... usually I'm the guy that when you turn on the lights the windshield wipers start going!)

Thanks again for everyone's input and help, I truly appreciate it.

Best,

Travis

Latest posts