Help! End Link TSB and Dealer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Stokes

Reaction score
Finally got tired of the squeaking noise coming from the rear end, so the wife took the truck to the dealer today. The dealer said since the truck has an aftermarket swaybar and the links are attached to that component they are not required to cover the TSB.:angry:

I thought the way the law works is they have to prove that the aftermarket component caused the failure? Additionally, since they have a known issue with the endlinks they should have to cover the problem.

Am I right? If so does any one have a reference that I can point the dealer to,

Thx,

Ken

I don't think you have a choice in this case, it's only a TSB, and it's not a failure, it's a squeaky noise.

If you were to have the OEM bar and endlinks and the squeak continued, then you'd have a case.

Just order the new set of links and install them. I did mine in about an hour, and they were like $13 a piece. You can grease your swaybar bushings while at it (that's prob what you're hearing, the endlink TSB is for clunking I think). Better yet, get a greasable set of brackets and bushings and install at the same time.

My sqeeking on my EE bar was the bushings at the axle..added the grease fittings and grease it..no sqeeks for a year now...my Trac is an '04, probably has the upgraded links...

Ken, unfortunately as stated, not much you can do. The problem lies with the fact that as soon as they see an aftermarket whatever they will blame the problem on it. Even if there is a TSB on it. Also, if you are on the "extended warrenty" the TSB's fall under an "annoyance" not that there is something wrong. Nice huh. Anyway, I replaced mine not to long ago and there is a project on it here on how to do it. Takes about an hour and really isn't hard to do at all. They are fairly inexpensive to get and way better than the OE ones. Get them and just do it yourself. Screw em.;)

Ken: Are you sure it's the swaybar that's squeaking? My squeaks always come from the tailgate, either the hinges or most recently, the handle.

Just remove the tailgate and grease the ends, and spray WD-40 or equivalent around the moving parts of the handle, and see if that eliminates the squeaks.

And yes, the new end links are easy to install if you want to go that route.

Pretty sure its the end links, I installed Todd Z's greaseable brackets two weeks ago and still have the noise.

I fell for you in this situation. Dealers and I do not get along very well.

This serves as a good lesson - when getting something fixed, if at all possible, put the OEM item back on the ride.

Remember, a TSB is a bulletin to the dealer describing a known problem and it's fix. It is not a recall. So, if you have that problem and are under warranty, they fix for free. If warranty is expired, you pay. Also, when you installed the sway bar, you removed and then replaced the end links. In their minds, that voided the warranty since Ford's original work was no longer the existing condition. I don't blame them for this either. When we do mods, we knowingly take the risk of voided warranty for the affected components.

I agree with you Bill-E, but the way I look at it is when they cut corners by putting something on it that is sub par, (in this case nobody can argue that the OE rear swaybar is a POS) we as owners ought to have the option of changing that piece out with a better replacement and not have to worry about voiding the warrenty. I know its legal for them to do the "you voided the warrenty on that item by putting that thing on" but that's BS. It's just an easy reason to not have to cover the replacement and charge us for the repair work. Just my opinion.;)

Actually, I am going to side with the dealer.

The rear sway bar is adequate for the Trac. Most vehicles that compete with the Trac do not have a rear sway bar, but Ford puts one on. Rangers don't even have one.

You can not expect to put a supercharger on the engine and expect Ford to replace the engine if it breaks, can you?

The TSB is not a recall. A TSB is a notice to the dealers that it is known that a certain condition is happening, the problem is ______. Like the DPFE sensors. Most people that get a check engine light and it says EGR Flow insufficient first think it is the EGR valve. Many people have paid for a newer EGR valve, only to find out, that wasn't the problem.

Endlinks are not that hard to replace.

There is alot more stress placed by the EE Sway bar onto the endlinks, then by the OE bar. I have noticed there are situations when I can get one rear wheel off the ground. All that stress is placed on the sway bar preventing the rear suspension to articulate enough.

If it were a new set of plugs and wires installed and Ford said that the wires caused the endlinks to fail, you would have a case.

With the EE Sway bar, they in thier rights to deny warranty.

A friend of the family recently got a new Toyota Corolla. He had to sign a sheet of paper that says if he does not use a Toyota oil filter, they can and will, void the warranty on his engine.

How legal is that? I don't know. Personally, I think they are pulling the wool over his eyes. I wonder if it is the dealer doing that or if it is Toyota. He claims it was by Toyota. I can't say for sure though.

Tom

A friend of the family recently got a new Toyota Corolla. He had to sign a sheet of paper that says if he does not use a Toyota oil filter, they can and will, void the warranty on his engine.

I think you're right, Tom. That sounded like a load of B.S. An oil filter is a consumable, normal wear and tear item, just like an air filter, batteries, light bulb, or tires. So how can they require you to use only an OEM filter? Using that same line of reasoning, you'd never be able to use anything but OEM parts.

Ken,

It is the end links, They are not worn out, simply squeaking. The 03 and up ST has the Polly composite bushing in the end link..

Remove them from the truck, You need (1) 18mm wrench and (1) 18mm socket and ratchet.

Once out, THE bolts on the sway bar can be removed, Apply a non water soluble grease, I used the clear lube "super Lube" over a year ago, My squeak has been gone since..

Todd Z

"Slick 50 one grease" for me. I tried some marine grease, and this one grease stuff is even thicker than the marine grease was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully they didn't enter that info into a computer. That way you can just reinstall your stock one and take it to another dealer.