Help! Dumb Rotor Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am in process of changing brakes and rotors. 2001 4x2. What's the trick to remove wheel hub grease cap? There really doesn't seem to be room to get a screwdriver behind it to pry it off. Thanks!

Tap the top with a rubber mallet to break the seal loose, then use a screw driver...

They do make a bearing cap remover tool...

Just be sure not to bend the cap too much...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. One more head scratcher... I bought new rotors and bearings. On the inner side of the rotor it looks like there is an outer race already in the rotor. But, my bearing came with an outer race. What do you think? Thanks

Most of the time new rotors come with the new races pressed into them already.

IF you purchase a new bearing, IT comes with the race too...

Todd Z

OK...The inner oil seal. How much tappong should it take to seat it properly? I get it seated almost all the way around but I don't want to damage it. Do I just "drive it home"?

Thanks

(can you tell I've never done this before? :wacko: )

Last edited by a moderator:
You will drive the seal until the metal is flush with the lip you are seating it into. It does NOT need to go into the bearing or race or anything like that.

It's sole job is to keep the grease on the bearing side and the dirt on the outside...

Latest posts