HEELLPP!!! i got water.... IN my truck..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Sove

Reaction score
:angry:So this morning i get in my truck and notice everytime i hit the brakes i hear rushing water.. so after work i popped off the passenger side kick panel plastic.. (over the fuel reset switch) on my 04 adrenalin.. AND what do i find?? WATER. and lots of it.. i have the rubber floor stuff instead of carpet, and who knows how long its been wet under there, but its SOAKED. i've got a good 1/2" of water in there. does ANYONE know how this is getting in? anyone had this issue? im freakin out right now cause i dont think my warrenty will cover the problem.:angry::angry::angry:

A very common issue is plugged drain lines for the moon-roof. However, it seems you don't have one so that is not the issue.

The second most common place is the molding/gasket around the back glass. Several have had to re-seal the mail gasket.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, its clear water. no sunroof. it sat in my driveway for two days of rain but thats it.. and its been rained on before.. never had this problem.. im going outside to check, but so far its jsut on the pass side. i'll update.

Mike,

Consider the obvious: Who normally gets in and out of the passenger side? Did someone get into the ST in the past couple of days on that side and leave a door slightly ajar?

TJR

i wish. no lol. nobody has gotten in that side for a while now.. i popped the driver side kick panel off adn theres signs of wter, but not STANDING water like the pass side.. in order to get the water to drain, i popped apart the rear "rocker" cover i'll call it.. interior piece that the bottom of the door seals against.. whatever its called, anywho, i popped that off on both sides and pulled a small drain plug out, and it DRAINED.. left a good trail of water down the driveway. still cant tell where its coming from. hopefully i dont have to do what i did to my ranger to find that water leak. i stripped the seats, carpet, all trim and hosed it down with someone inside to locate the leak. guys...its 21degrees outside, im not doin that.

to add, i dont think it was as simple as a door being left ajar.. because when i pulled back the rubber carpet, the padding underneath stunk like old pond water lol.. yet SOMEHOW i never smelled it in the truck. :blink:

Mike,

Which probably means the water got into the ST at some point such that it came in by an edge of or beneath the rubber flooring. If it ran in or dripped atop the flooring then found a level underneath you would probably see, and smell evidence of that.

TJR

Is it only wet under the front portion of the truck or have you checked the rear to see if it is under the mat there as well?

My F 150 did this and it was the 3rd brake light leaking...the first time..second time it was the rear window frame at the bottom..running in behind the interior trim..

Right after I bought my 01 Trac I noticed that the 3rd brake light cover wasnt put on correctly...luckily this was before it rained for 4 days..

damn.. it looks like im gonna have to strip her down. If i get done with work at a decent time this week, (probably not) i'll run up to my buddys shop where its HEATED, and tear her apart.. until then i think im gonna shop vac the sh*t out of the areas that are wet that i can SEE, to buy myself time. put the plugs back in, and we'll see what happens. thanks guys. you all rock.:cool:

ok well i put it back together and while i was putting the pass side kick panel back in, i noticed splash marks on the inside of it.. SOOO, i left it off, and covered the electrics over there with a shop towel.. we'll see what happens. i didn't look at the driver side though, it was getting dark out there. and colder.

One of the easier ways to checks for leaks (air/liquid) is to rent or buy a smoke machine and put it in the vehicle close all doors/windows, turn it on and watch where the smoke comes out. That's where your leak is. Once you find where the leak is fix it and return the smoke machine for money back or return rental. You can rent or buy smoke machines from most party supplies stores. Save your time and energy stripping out the interior. This does work. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
doesn't that smoke stuff stink though?? i LIKE that idea actually.. long as my interior doesn't end up smelling like sh*t you know....:D

I am still missing something,,, IF you have a warranty and there is a bad door seal, or windshield, or sunroof leaking, that should be covered, PLUS if the water does other damage they would have to fix that too..

Todd Z

I have the exact same problem in my 03 ST, but have not pulled up the whole floor yet to see the extent of the water (definitely under the driver side front floor). Where are the plugs that Mike is speaking of? I'd like to drain mine, too, but not sure where to look for the plugs.

I like the smoke idea to find the leak -- does anyone know if it smells?

Under the floor there is a strong mold odor (which I didn't smell in the truck most of the time). Does anyone know if this can be successfully cleaned/deodorized? Or am I going to have to buy a whole new floor??

If you are referring to liquid fog like we used on stage for special effects in fog machines..

it is available in: unscented.. tropical light.. strawberry..vanilla.. banana...lemon...peppermint..cherry...

runs anywhere from 7.99 to 34.99 a gallon...

Can anyone post photos of where all the drains are that need to be checked? I don't have a sunroof, but I'm wondering about the cowl drains or anything else that runs near the driver's floor area. I'm just not sure exactly where to look.

I had a similar situation with mine a couple of years ago. Come to find out, the seams where the firewall attaches to the kick panel area were not sealed very well from the factory.