HEAT HELP!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just noticed recently that my 2010 ST V6 with 79,500 miles is not blowing any heat what so ever. Flooring it helps but very very little. It lately has been taking about 30 minutes of driving for any warm air to start blowing. I'm currently in Albuquerque New Mexico where the air is very cold and very thin. Also, Every now and again (becoming more frequent) I hear what sounds like a loud fan coming from the engine compartment and won't usually stop unless I floor it, which it then just sounds like a normal engine sound. Any help as to what it might be and how much it might cost to replace/fix would be much appreciated. Thank you All!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start with the thermostat. They fail in the open state so it's not letting the antifreeze warm up enough to produce the heat.

I would start with the temperature gauge. You mention only the heater air temp; what about the engine temp (that will give you (and us) and indication of whether the thermostat is working)?

There is no guarantee that a failed thermostat will fail in the open position; mine failed in the closed position which, due to the high heat, caused a raised idle RPM to draw air through the radiator (kind of messes with braking and transmission shifting, too).

A few things to check:

Coolant level

Blend door and or actuator (the fan is in the engine compartment, mounted on the firewall

Heater core valve and or actuator

Vacuum leak

Air block or clog in heater core (maybe disconnect the hoses and flush both directions with a garden hose)

Some stuff:

<a href="http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1337585&REPLYCOUNT=36&sitename=mysporttrac" target="_blank">Truck heater not getting as warm as normal</a>

<a href="http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1335884&REPLYCOUNT=9&sitename=mysporttrac" target="_blank">heater core valve vaccum issue</a>

Found via search for:

'blend door' in these areas: [TITLE] [MESSAGE TEXT] (search option: Match all words) within the last 3285 days

Do you have auto or manual heat?

Todd Z

It sure sounds like the coolant level is low. When it is low the 1st thing that suffers is the heating system because it does not have enough coolant to work. Flooring the engine will pump coolant faster and will often times give some heat for a short amount of time. This symptom along with the clutch fan engaging sure makes it sound like a coolant level issue.

+1 l1tech

How about the all too common slow coolant leak at thermostat housing. I slowly lost my heat until I refilled the radiator each time. Finally, I got around to replacing the housing and I'm good for this winter.

Latest posts