headlight switch or dimmer switch?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
Okay. Here's the symptoms...

Instrument panel lights not working on the dash gauges (fuel, speedometer, etc). Lights do work on the seatbelt signal and turn signals.

Lights not working on temperature control panel.

Lights not working on stereo buttons (but does work on the stereo display)

Based on my internet searches I have heard dimmer switch or headlight switch... not sure which to replace (and would like to get it right on the first try!).

I have checked the fuses. Anyone else with these exact symptoms and fix it?

Play with the dimmer switch and see if you can't get the other lights to flicker. I'm on my third dimmer, and it controls all of the lights you mentioned. Each time mine has gone out, it started with dead spots at certain spots in the switch and just got worse...

On the stereo display, is the display really bright? That's the default if the dimmer is not controlling it(as in the dimmer is shot). When I hit a dead spot in the dimmer, the radio display would get real bright, but the lights on the controls would go out, as would all of my dash lights.

Both of mine were replaced under warranty, so I don't know how hard it is to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem with an '01 I bought from the local Ford dealer's used car lot.

After a couple of "tries", the solution was a new radio. Someone had changed out the unit when it was traded in. The fix was a new original combo.

Playing with the headlight switch got them all to come on today. I can feel the click when it works vs doesnt work between OFF and PARKING LIGHTS. New headlight switch on order! THanks for the input guys!