Header Bolt Issue...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
For the last couple of months, I noticed that my ST V8 had an unusual "noise" or "rattle" when I would start it up. Initially, I thought it might be the engine chain guide which I've read, had problems. Today, while being under the truck to change my oil, I thought I'd inspect the undercarriage to make sure there were no leaks, loose parts, etc.

The following is what I found:

- rear header bolt COMPLETELY MISSING

- bolt bolt in front of rear header bolt looks to be loose

Now I realize what the strange "noise" is and why it slowly went again after the engine was warmed up. Time to head to the Ford dealership to purchase a new bolt.

Anyone here have similar issues?

[Broken External Image]:

Common issue with the 4.6L. breaking bolts and leaking exaust. Best to pull the manifold. Get the new design bolts from ford and replace all of them....

I could be mistaken, but it looks like someone has been there before you. I don't think those are factory exhaust manifold gaskets. as far as I know, they use the steel type.

I agree, you'll need studs, nuts and gaskets. hopefully that manifold is not cracked.

Yup, super common problem. I had the same issue, got one side fixed at Ford, then a week later needed to get the other side done :banghead: .

I had both sides repaired under warranty. The driver side went first and then about a year later the passenger side. The dealer replaced both manifolds due to the fact that they were warped along with all new studs.