hazy headlights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Rutt

Reaction score
I have a 99 Mercury Tracer beater that my kids have learned to drive in and I plan on keeping it since it still runs great and only has 75K miles on it.The headlights have started to get that hazed look to them and I'd like to try and get rid of it if possible instea d of buying a set of aftermarket lreplacements.Is there any way to possibly" buff out" or get rid of the slight haze with some kind of compound or polish?

Thanks in advance,Markr

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had great success with light abrasive compound and a polishing wheel. You might want to try a small section by hand first to make sure your headlight material will polish like mine have. My 01' SportTrac headlights look like new after 160,000 miles.

If they're not too bad, I've heard that chrome polish works. If they are real bad then wet sand them with #1000 paper and then use chrome polish.

Advance Auto sells a lense cleaner also. I have it, but haven't used it on my 96 van yet. Maybe I'll try it out today and post on how it works.

Gary D. in CT