Has anyone had their factory tonneau cover broken into?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Barker

Reaction score
This hasn't to me but I was wondering what it would take. Would a large screwdriver do it or would it take something bigger like a crowbar? Are the tonneau fastners the same year to year?

if you don't lock your tailgate, you have no worries... LOL

Todd Z

Yes mine was broken into last week. They bent the rubber covers on the tonneau trying to pry off the lock. They crack the tonneau trying to pry off the lock too. They also tried to jamming a screw driver into the lock but doing so, they seized all the cables so the lock would not even turn. I had to disassemble the lock and take it to a locksmith to have it repaired. I did all the repairs myself. I bent the rubber key cover back into place and used carriage bolts to secure it to the tonneau. You can't tell that some moron tried to break in.

The funniest part, nothing was in the bed at the time.

Big Al,

Sorry to hear that your cover was damaged, but it appears that they did not manage to get into the cover, but managed to screw it up pretty good.

...Rich

Another member posted about this a couple of years ago. His bed was also empty, but they were only able to damage the truck and cover with a crow bar. They never entered the bed.

The only one I remember is the one Nelson mentioned. He was parked at an airport while he was out of town and when he came back he saw the damage they had caused.

I just don't get some people. I guess they have sticky fingers. Rich You mentioned in one post a iong time ago how to take the lock apart. That really helpped me out. The cables were not broken just a tad bit of rust. But it went back together easily. Another member posted a carriage bolt project as well, which helped out a lot too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What people will steal just to get another hit of crack or a nice cold 40 oz bottle of Colt 45.

Tom

There was a friend of mine who claimed he used to box up his trash to look like a package about to be shipped, and then put it in the bed of his truck. He said it was usually gone when he returned several hours later.

I knew someone who ran over a cat, he stopped and a woman came out of a driveway all upset but she had seen it happen and didn't blame him for it, her kids were about to arrive home from school and she didn't want them to see their dead pet so she brought out a paper grocery bag and asked him to take it away. He put the bag in the back seat and went to the mall, when he came back to his car the bag was gone.