Hard Drive recovery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill R

Reaction score
My laptop, was recently damaged beyond repair. I would like to recover files stored on the hard drive. I tried installing it in another laptop but it wouldn't load windows. Shouldn't it work in another computer or do I need to buy a USB adapter and try as an external drive?

widows is crappy like that in you will need to by an external enclosure for it then hook it up to another machine then you can copy what ever you want off of it I fix PC/macs so if you having trouble feel free to let me know

Using it as an external will work. But only if the Hard drive works.. If the hard drive has failed, and wont be seen when you do hook it up. there is only on way to get the files. and that is from a hard drive recovery place. which can be expensive.

What's the difference between ATA/IDE and SATA and would there be a difference in the case that I need?

No difference in the actual case, but the difference is the interface. An IDE drive will not connect to an SATA connector.

Tom

Phill,

If your coming to the LI meet next weekend, i can bring the adapters and my laptop or your lap top and you can transfer what you need...

I have both the Ide and sata external adapters..

Todd Z

Thanks. I'm probably going to buy one anyway and use the drive for backup. I would like to go but my weekends are usually pretty messed up.

Coastie they are about $15-40 depending on what all they hook up to, when I was doing in-home repair I spent $40 so I could do laptop/desktop IDE and Sata all with one adapter..

Cool, thanks..

I'd send this one to one of you guys but there is a substantial amount of confidential government data on it. Need to pull some completed forms from it and then destroy it..

Windows installs drivers required to load on the PC you originally installed it on. Booting it up in another PC sometimes works, sometimes it results in BSOD's (Blue screen of Death), other times it doesnt work at all.

If you have a local electronic/hardware store near you, you can either pick up the conversion adapters or cables for around $15-25.

Best bet is to hook it up as a slave drive (a secondary drive on a computer that already has Windows installed) so that you can access the data that way.

If you have Vista installed, you won't be able to access your personal documents without some additional software to remove the security.

You don't need additional software you just have to take ownership of the files.

Which is fairly simple but not obvious.

If the PC you boot it up with is not running Vista, it isn't that simple. If you are running Vista on the PC you have the drive hooked up then JDBoxes is correct.

As long as the hard drive is formatted as NTFS it doesn't matter if it's XP or Vista, you can take ownership through pretty much the same steps.

Latest posts