Hard cover lubrication

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Alright, the hard cover has been in storage all summer. Just put it on for winter and realized the locks, and the locking mechanisms on each corner, all were giving issues when I last used it. What's the proper way to lubricate them? I know you're not supposed to use oil on the locks. What if you had used it in the past? Not saying i did, but not sure i did not, either. I vaguely recall trying to get them to just MOVE without breaking the key off, so I may have resorted to something like a penetrating oil just to free it up. Don't recall what.

So, given that history, any spots I can lubricate and if so with what? Thanks again for any assistance!

--Bob

Extra-fine dry graphite powder -- I've personally used Jig-A-Loo Graphite Extreme. It's fast drying, graphite-based lubricant. Bought it at the local PepBoys Auto Parts store.

It's oil-free lubrication and it will not pick up dust or grit.

It's been great on my ST's lock mechanisms. I've put some directly into the key hole of the hard cover on my ST and had no problems with the key cylinders or key sticking.

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_graphite-extreme.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a product made by LiquidWrench that is a spray lubricant that contains Teflon. I first used it to solve my squeaking driver's seat back. It goes on wet but dries quickly leaving a film of Teflon as a lubricant that does not attract dirt.

I later used in on my tonneau cover locks and cables and it worked great...and I have had my cover for over 10 years now...even though I don't have a Sport Trac anymore.

...Rich

go to your local napa store they sell a blue small jug of lock ease its for locks works great its not the dry stuff .its a liquid...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately both my covers started to act up over time, noting I did fixed the issues....

Sucks as the cover is such a good addition..

Todd Z

Latest posts