gutted cats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should not throw any codes..the front 02 sensors are before the precats...but it would be better to cut them out entirely..bc it would cause to much turbulane close to the exhaust manifolds and valves...

Probably would throw a code. (i thought there was one after the cats.) Getting the material out of the lower, inline two wouldn't be bad, the upper Y-pipe two would be tough. I've done it on a couple of vehicles of mine ('90 Barretta and '89 Toyota pickup) and didn't get codes, but as sensitive as these vehicles are I'd say there will be a code that pops up.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about doing this, But the bends of the ypipe are not so that it is easy to do and get a clean job. Better to cut them out, BUT I would just get the y-pipe in the group buy, This way you have the cats in case something happens.

I kept my stock ypipe just in case..

Todd Z

Todd, what about just doing the in-line two? Would you get a code after doing them. Those were the two I was looking at doing but thought i'd get a code. (no emision testing in my area.)

Stone, I'll let ya know next week :) I have an appointment at Ford to get my tranny flushed, coolant changed, rear end changed, then I gotta do my oil, then I'll be cutting out the last catalytic converter and replaxing with flex pipe; after I see how that works out, I may or may not go to a shop to have a piece welded in.

The 2 front Pre cats help heat up the exhaust air for the back 2. the hotter a cat gets the better it works and the faster it gets warm the quicker it works..

The 2 fronts heat up the back 2, and only the front of the back 2 is monitored by an 02 sensor..

But removing the back 2 with out an XCal2 will set off a Check engine Light.,

Todd Z

I removed all 4, with just a Flowmaster 40 series dual exit she sounds mean as hell. Had a custom exhaust shop weld up something real nice. I have the Xcal2 so no codes here.

Latest posts