gun owners, a good watch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
if you get a chance, watch "if i only had a gun" that aired on abc 20/20 last night.

i would be real curious on how many of owners would have survived the "mock" live situations. my guess, very few !

i am not pro or con on gun ownership, but this was a very interesting reality check.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw part of it. Some people might not have what it takes to be ready. Or ready to react. You definitly have to be on your toes. Not shure if it is a left over from 'Nam or not. Most of the time When in public. I find myself thinking thru senarios of what if. I even try to choose where I will sit in restraunts. Doesnt mean I may make it thru an attack. I just never step out into an area where Im blindsighted either.

This is why those that carry have a false sense of security. Just having a weapon is not as important as knowing how to use and respond to situations.

Just having a weapon is not as important as knowing how to use and respond to situations.

That is correct. That is why the correct instructor stresses that anyone getting a CCW should get more training.

I shoot once a week, or so. We also plan on taking some advanced training classes.

The owner of "Your" Pizza Shop in Akron had the proper training. With a shotgun pointed at his head, he was able to draw his gun and kill the threat to his life.

Without that gun, he may have been dead along with the innocent person waiting for her pizza to finish cooking.

Tom

With or without a gun, this show just illustrates that the majority of people are screwed in a dangerous situation. This sad state of affairs is the fault of the people, not of the guns, but the show tries to construe it as such. While I agree that too many people think that they're "protected" because they have a gun, and I've encountered too many that have an unfounded cockiness stemming from having their little metal friend, I do not agree with the underlying anti-gun message. The biased media at work :(

Though if more people had guns, and took proper action with them, we could have averted all of the major crises that struck, from school shootings to the Americans captured by the 4 somali pirates...sadly, this will never happen, and an imbecile who can't even aim well enough to shoot at close range around a corner at unarmed opponents can rampage a school.

"Who needs courage when you have a gun?!"--what too many people think, sadly. (Futurama quote, to cite)

No one else noticed that immediately after shooting the instructor the bad guy went straight to shooting the person who had the gun even though a real bad guy wouldn't have known until the ccw holder pulled their weapon.

I'm not saying they did everything right either, but in a classroom with 30 people the bad guy went instructor, ccw holder.. that wouldn't be the case in a real scenario, thus giving ccw holder a few extra seconds.

JD, I thought the same thing. I have a freind from church that is a cop. He chooses where he will sit in a restraunt. The robber not knowing who is packing gave him the drop and foiled the robbery. BTW, the robber is 6 ft under. It was justified as a good shoot.

I watched part of it last night--- but went to bed. My thoughts is this....

Again--- it has the bias media spin (just look at the transitions they used between video... Gin bangs... Flashes)

The while campus excersise was stupid; pitting an idiot aginst a trained cop... Not to mention.. When someone decides to mass murder... Do they really know who has a gun? When the "shooter" entered in the classrooms.. He knew who has the gun ... Obviously having a upper hand-- so it was totaly unrealistic.. Imo.

I say we need to educate kids on guns... It's sad to see so many idiots afraid of guns because they make a loud bang and a flash.

And when it comes to stricter laws because of the amount of children accidently killed by guns:

What about the accidental pool drownings? Heck... What about bicyle accidents? Let's enforce more laws...

But then again.. Guns go bang are scary!

As a firearms instructor for 20 plus years I can give you a few things to consider.

Handguns only:

1. If you are going to the range and shooting at a target with one eye closed you are learning to shoot accurate at a target. You will become a good target shooter or hunter.

2. If you want to learn shooting in a combat situation you have to practice with both eyes open, so when you point and shoot your dominate eye puts you on target without having to use you sights.

3. You have to practice as you would in a shooting situation. Short range, quick point and shoot, double tap every time, shoot no shoot situations, moveable targets, and while moving.

4. You have to practice reloading drills, and misfire clearing drills as much as you practice shooting.

5. It takes about 2000 reps of anything for you body to start to become natural at that function.

6. Looking for cover and moving is sometimes more important than shooting.

As a side note, I was in the Army but GO NAVY. Three shots, three snipers, at the same time, from a boat to a boat, three kills. Priceless:cool::cool::cool:

Caymen said:
That is correct. That is why the correct instructor stresses that anyone getting a CCW should get more training.

I shoot once a week, or so. We also plan on taking some advanced training classes.

Then Gary S said:
going to the range once a week is far from training.

watch the show

Then Caymen insults with:
Learn to read. You will be better off in life.

Hhhhm!

Caymen,

What exactly did Gary not read correctly?

I re-read what you wrote about 10 times, and I see an implication in what you are saying. That implication is that shooting (at a range) once a week or so is some type of training.

That believe seems both implied and reinforced by the fact that your statement about your frequency of shooting appears immediately following the the recommendation by an instructor to "get more training" and just before the admission that you also plan to get advanced training immediately after.

The not-so-subtle implication is that shooting is a form of training. If it isn't meant to imply that then way even state it in that context. You might as well have said:

the correct instructor stresses that anyone getting a CCW should get more training.

I eat ice cream once a week, or so. We also plan on taking some advanced training classes.

Or consider this. Follow the flow and logic:

I was told to do X. I do Y once a week or so. I also plan to do a more advanced form of X.

Casually reading the first two sentences only one might think that Y is not a form of X. However, when encountering the third sentence and the use of the world "also", that is a telltale sign that the writer probably meant that Y to be a form of X as well...or why else use the word "also." The three sentences seem very related...all talking about forms of training.

So what exactly did Gary S read incorrectly?

TJR

tom,

taking advanced classes is not shooting small game/rodents in your yard :rolleyes:

as far as the show being bias, that is your opinion. it does demonstrate that having a gun is always not the answer. in any one of those real world "mock" situations, the person with the gun is not likely going to make it.

once again, i am not pro or con on gun possesion, just the fact that some think they are unstoppable creating a false sense of security. in some cases it could even make matters worse.

Caymen,

What exactly did Gary not read correctly?

Gary missed the part where I said we are planning on taking advanced classes. Shooting at the range helps you learn to control a gun. Advance classes teach you how to shoot in a panic situation, how to run for cover, etc.

I am sure most people raed what I said and understood what I said and what I was trying to convey.

Tom

Outsider looking in on the Caymen, TJR, Gary S part of this..

EVERY time Caymen says ANYTHING about a gun, Gary brings up the squirrel or posts of a pic of the squirrel, or in directly attacks Caymen for owning a gun in some way.. it gets old even for me reading the same crap in every post.

It's fine that Gary and Caymen don't agree on their personal level of gun ownership, be respectful and say nothing or say something that actually has some substance and not just be a jerk.

Respect comes from both sides this isn't targeted at Gary or Caymen, you both have to learn to ignore each other in gun threads..

JD, for your viewing pleasure.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

...and if you really want, i can post a picture of the "whole family".

Tom

[Broken External Image]:

And there is mine, with a Ruger LCP on order, and an old 20 gauge that I've had since I was 14..

With one CCW in the room, the bad guy has a chance of being stopped. With more than one CCW the chances increase. With no CCW in the room, he will stop when he runs out of bullets. What am I missing?

mikec gets it. Without a gun, nobody has a chance.

With a gun, you have a chance. It may be a small chance, but a small bullet can bring down a guy no matter how big he is. A small guy, or woman, will have a hard time bringing a small guy with a gun.

In a situation, I do not need a gun to keep it from happening. All I ask for is a chance to protect my life and those I love. That is all I ask for...a chance.

Tom

Latest posts