gun owners, a good watch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that segment was just as skewed as the NBC segment on exploding GM pickup trucks back in the early 90s and anyone that believes that the 20/20 segment was taped legitimately

"i have a slightly used 125 year old bridge located in brooklyn for sale"

I have 4 handguns. I am proficient with (2). I am accurate with all four.

In a life-or-death situation, I have my go-to. I am not licensed and do not carry. I know my limitations.

That being said...

I have practiced "clearing" my house. I have practiced with a handgun, an AK (not exactly a home-defence gun, but it would work in a pinch) and my shotgun (bird gun that is nearly 45" in total length, not exactly a self-defence gun).

I can react, if need be, and have before. I had a suspected intruder outside my home one night. The dog (the first line of defence) started going nuts and my wife thought she saw a shadow. I grabbed my go-to handgun, checked the house, racked a round and stepped outside. Nothing anywhere around the house. Went back in, cleared the gun and stored it properly. Back to bed.

A sharp mind is always alert. I refuse to be a helpless victim. I am always looking for the "out" and play a lot of "what if" scenarios in my head.

Hence, the problem.

They are strictly just thoughts, I have not been in an actual situation to practice or be tested.

I am a man that knows that I don't know everything that I need to know, ya know? I am as prepared as I can be at this time, but that is not enough. The one thing I will not do is make my wife and children a bigger threat of being victimized because of my lack of knowledge/training. I am working to remedy that.

Racking a shotgun will clear most houses. Get some #4 buckshot for the bird gun. And, a 5 gallon bucket of plaster in case you have to use it. My problem is if I shoot someone with the shotgun my dawg will try to fetch them up.

A word of advice in selecting home protection ammo and caliber. Most houses have sheet rock walls and as such offer minimal protection against penetration. Be sure that your family and love ones are not behind one in the path of the bullet or shot. Select a minimum penetration caliber or load. Number 4 shot is great but does severe damage to things behind the wall. A hiher number shot, more but smaller pellets may be desirable. Fragmenting bullets offer maximum damage with minimal wall penetration. Just a thought. BTW aim for the largest body mass of the SOB. Again, just a thought.

As a firearms instructor for 20 plus years I can give you a few things to consider.

Handguns only:

1. If you are going to the range and shooting at a target with one eye closed you are learning to shoot accurate at a target. You will become a good target shooter or hunter.

2. If you want to learn shooting in a combat situation you have to practice with both eyes open, so when you point and shoot your dominate eye puts you on target without having to use you sights.

3. You have to practice as you would in a shooting situation. Short range, quick point and shoot, double tap every time, shoot no shoot situations, moveable targets, and while moving.

4. You have to practice reloading drills, and misfire clearing drills as much as you practice shooting.

5. It takes about 2000 reps of anything for you body to start to become natural at that function.

6. Looking for cover and moving is sometimes more important than shooting.

Exactly. This is why police officers are trained to act in special situations and the general public is not. Back when I was a licensed peace officer we did all those things and even had to learn to shoot with the less dominate hand. Civilians cannot really be expected to react properly in a dangerous confrontation. Yet there are many instances when they are not given a choice. Kill or be killed. Thats why I support CHL licenses, although I believe more training should be required than what is presently in place. An hour on the range does not ready you for a gunfight.

I know what I've read over the past year or so.. I don't recall when it all started, and I haven't said anything until now, it's just getting old.

and I can only suggest that you ignore tom's posts..

grown men acting like children is really pretty sad.

Last edited by a moderator: