Guess It Might Be Time For A New Battery...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
While sitting at an intersection on my way home from work last night, I noticed the Odometer LED's flickering with the engine at idle speed. If I revved the engine, or when I took off moving, they stopped flickering, and maintained a steady luminescence.

I figured this might be related to the battery. It's the OEM Motorcraft battery, which is now over 4.5 years and 80,000 miles old. It's probably reaching the end of it's lifespan, so I guess I need to do some battery shopping this weekend.

Yeah, Andy, I'll probably going to get an Optima. I've known that the battery was going to need replacing for quite a few months, I was just blowing it off as long as possible. I had other "priorites" for the Trac... Like R/T Y-pipe/cat, XCal 3/Tunes, etc...;)

But something is telling me that it would probably be a good idea to replace the battery before it gets too cold here in the next few months.

My original battery died at about 4.5 years and 80K miles. You might want to check your alternator. Dim/flickering lights at idel, then full bright at higher RPM is a common sign of alternator failure. Take it to Autozone and get it tested.

I was planning to go and get the electrical system checked prior to buying a battery. I know the battery needs replaced anyway, but I figured that would be a good idea also.

I had to replace the battery in mine two years ago after somebody hit the rear of the Trac and the battery shorted out internally. Autozone $39.95. They seem to last as long as anything else out there, so why pay for more than you need?

Optima=waste of money.

Duralast. Cheaper, better warranty, if you get the Gold, you also get free roadside jump start assistance.

Tom

Caymen nailed it. My battery croaked after about 4 or 5 years and I got the Duralast Gold and it is great. I just didn't think Optima was worth all the $$$

Replaced mine with an Optima at about 90,000.. I got a good deal on it (about 70 bucks if I'm not mistaken, pepboys had a rebate)... No complaints here.

[Broken External Image]:

Andy,

If I read the picture correctly, that's a solar charger hooked to the secondary terminals, right? That's a pretty cool mod.:cool: Where do you have the solar cells mounted?

Well, that's pretty cool too. Good way to take advantage of the secondary terminals. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. Dingos like to sit on the tailgate and listen to music. This way, between the charger and the fact that it's a deep-cycle battery, I'm good. Also, I DO have a solar charger, but it plugs into the OBDII port. I just throw it out the sunroof onto the roof 'cause everything's tinted.

interstate batteries for any thing other than oem they have never let me down! sort of grew up on them in our fleet of vehicles!

Latest posts