Grinding Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith S

Reaction score
My ST just recently has started to make a grinding noise, sometimes sounding like an old siren, that increases and decreases in volume with speed. I suspect that I have a wheel bearing going. I cannot tell which side the sound is coming from on the rear. Jacked up the ST and tried to move each tire in all directions to see which side is going bad but both are solid as a rock and have no play in them. Any ideas on how to further check to see which side is going bad? Or any ideas on what else it may be if not the wheel bearing?

Thank you,

Keith S.

You basically have to spin it and feel the difference. You can use a listening device too..

Todd Z

Driveline noises can be difficult to pinpoint. Did you check front wheels too? You don't mention whether you have 4x4, but if you do there's been plenty of complaints on this forum about front wheel hubs. Also check your driveshaft universal joints.

When my first set of front bearings went they noise got progressively worse in time. Then my hands started becoming numb from the vibrations traveling through and to the steering wheel.

Another 60-70k miles later and I am now developing another noise. sounds similar but still early on. I will allow it to worsen so pinpointing it will be easier.

On on/off ramps to the highway I can almost hear it and feel it more. I'm pretty sure it's the front bearings.

Yes my ST is a 4x4. No, I do not believe that it has anything to do with the front drive train. Reason being is when I open the front windows, both individually and together, there is no noise to be heard. Once I open rear window you can clearly hear the noise, just cannot tell which side it is coming from.

@ Todd - when you say to spin it to feel the difference is that with the wheel on or off? Also will it spin with the parking brake on or while the 3 other wheels are touching the ground? Or do I use this as an excuse to go out and purchase jack stands? Lol

Thanks

If you think it's the rear then jack up the entire rear with jackstands on both sides supporting the rear end and have someone get inside to put in drive while you listen to see if the noise can be heard. If not, it may need to be under load which will be tougher to find.

Latest posts