Grinding noise after oil change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Jorczyk

Reaction score
I change my oil every 5,000 miles and I have been using Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-30 ever since the Sport trac hit 75,000 miles. During the last two oil changes (last one at 121,000 miles) after I change the oil and start the vehicle I get a grinding noise or metal on metal noise for about 3 seconds, then it disappears. The grinding noise only happens after I change the oil and start it for the first time.

Any sugestions what it could be?

Thanks for the help

Greg

2003 Sport trac xlt

Gen-1 Sport Tracs were known to have some issues with timing-chain rattling caused by bad chain tensioners. The noise was noticeable when the engine was first started and then went away. Some say it sounded like a rumbling/grinding noise while other said it was more like marbles bouncing around in the engine (like pre-ignition).

Another thing could be the engine running dry after an oil change until the filter gets filled with oil. To avoid that, you can put some fresh oil in the filter before installing it.

...Rich

this is why I fill the filter on the gen 1 with oil before installing.......Helps a ton !!

Todd Z

As I see it, the typical noise at start up is the timing chain rattling around a broken chain guide. If Greg's noise only occurs after oil change and then only the first start, it is probably oil starvation often called clatter. Not a big deal but can be minimized as you folks have said by filling the new filter with oil. That said, 3 seconds is a long time to pump up the lifters.

I don't think it is a problem at this point Greg

Latest posts